History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Usselby Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Osgodby, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4277 / 53°25'39"N

Longitude: -0.3542 / 0°21'14"W

OS Eastings: 509454

OS Northings: 393583

OS Grid: TF094935

Mapcode National: GBR TXZS.3Z

Mapcode Global: WHGH9.J3KL

Plus Code: 9C5XCJHW+38

Entry Name: Usselby Hall

Listing Date: 1 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196520

Location: Osgodby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Osgodby

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Usselby St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Usselby

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 01/06/2020

TF 09 SE
8/40
OSGODBY
USSELBY
Usselby Hall

1-11-66

GV
II
Small country house; mid C18 with major early C19 alteration and addition; red brick with ashlar dressings and render; hipped slate roof with lead dressings with two brick ridge stacks.

Two storey front with slight ashlar plinth, first floor sill band and deeply overhanging eaves. Five bay facade with central early C19, six panelled door with octagonal fielded panels, and traceried fanlight, flanked by single ashlar 3/4 columns with fluted capitals carrying entablature, modillions and open pediment. To either side a pair of glazing bar sashes with splayed rusticated ashlar lintels having vermiculated keystones. The first floor has five similar shorter windows. Between the fourth and fifth bays a slight change in the brickwork indicates that the fifth bay was probably added at the time that the house was refronted in early C19.

The side elevation of three bays is in a different bond from the main front and probably dates from mid C18. It has a central six panelled door with traceried fanlight, panelled reveals and archivolt. The moulded pilaster door case has an open pediment and is flanked by single glazing bar sashes. Above are three similar windows. These openings have slight segmental arched brick heads. The rear is rendered and has a large Venetian window lighting the stair well.

Interior: this contains some very fine early C19 details. The hall has a moulded cornice decorated in the Indian style after the Brighton Pavilion. An elliptical archway leads to an elegant stair contained in a curved stairwell, it has a swept handrail and plain balusters. The ceiling over the stair has an oval decorative moulding in Adam style. The doors which flank the staircase on ground and first floor have traceried fanlights. The architraves have decorative angles. The drawing room has a leopards head motif which is used in the cornice, architraves and alcoves. The marble fireplace is also contemporary. The first floor has two cast iron grates with Gothic tracery and a further moulded fireplace surround.

The house was owned and lived in by Tennysons grandfather. It was also used as a German Officer prison of war camp in the 1939-1945 war.

Listing NGR: TF0945493583

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.