This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.4022 / 53°24'7"N
Longitude: -0.261 / 0°15'39"W
OS Eastings: 515712
OS Northings: 390897
OS Grid: TF157908
Mapcode National: GBR VYM3.93
Mapcode Global: WHHJG.YRW5
Plus Code: 9C5XCP2Q+VH
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063475
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196402
Location: Tealby, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN8
Civil Parish: Tealby
Built-Up Area: Tealby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Tealby All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/04/2020
TF 19 SE
RASEN ROAD (north side)
Church of All Saints
Parish curch, C12, C13, early C14, C15, C16, chancel re-modelled by James Fowler in 1872, tower restored 1881-1884. Coursed ironstone rubble, some ironstone ashlar. Slate roofs. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and rectangular chancel.
Mid C12 west tower with early C15 fourth stage and buttresses. Moulded plinth with diagonal buttress with high stepped bases and richly moulded stringcourses. Similar buttress in centre of south side of tower reaching just above the second stage. Small early C12 west doorway with large plain chamfered impost blocks. C19 lintel inserted and semi-circular head. Above, a round headed window of c1175 with small head inside apex with weathered, drooping leaves on either side and hoodmould. South side, just east of buttress is a rectangular light. Clock of 1977 above. C15 bell chamber openings on all four sides, each of two cusped pointed lights with vertical tracery above and hoodmould. On the east side, lower and to the north of bell chamber opening is pointed, deeply set C12 opening with chamfered surround and hoodmould. Apex of east bell opening has head at eaves level, and projecting gargoyle in similar position above west bellchamber opening. Moulded eaves, battlements and corner pinnacles of 1881. Weathervane.
Early C14 north aisle with pointed windows of two cusped lights with reticulated quatrefoil above and hoodmould. Angle buttresses of two stages and tall chimney. North side proper has three light pointed window with intersecting tracery, restored in C19 and hoodmould, with two stage buttress to the left with pointed doorway with chamfered head, jambs, hoodmould and plank door, beyond. To the left two, three light pointed windows with restored intersecting tracery and hoodmoulds, with two stage buttress between. East corner has two stage angle buttress. East end of nave has three light pointed window with restored intersecting tracery and hoodmould. C19 moulded eaves, battlements and the blind traceried bases of pinnacles run along top of north aisle. C15 clerestory of four, three light windows with flattened triangular heads and hoodmoulds joined by stringcourse. C19 moulded eaves, battlements and blind traceried bases of four pinnacles. East end of nave has roofline of earlier chancel, moulded eaves and battlements, south pinnacle and north pinnacle blind traceried base. North side of chancel has blocked rectangular opening to the west, with small barely pointed doorway to left with chamfered arch and joists in one and plank door. Beyond a three light pointed window with intersecting tracery restored. C19 and hoodmould, with two stage buttress to the left. North east and south east corners have two stage angle buttresses with plinths. Five light east window with C19 tracery and hoodmould. South side of chancel has a long three light pointed window with intersecting tracery restored in C19, and hoodmould with two stage buttress to west. Beyond is a lower, smaller three light pointed window with restored intersecting tracery. Blocked rectangular opening to the west. East end of south aisle of nave has small three light pointed window with intersecting tracery. Two stage angle buttress in south east corner.
South side proper has two pointed, three light windows with restored intersecting tracery with hoodmoulds, with two stage buttress in between. C16 south porch with plinth, moulded eaves and battlements. Low two stage buttress pointing west and east. Low pointed double chamfered doorway with arch and jambs in one. Three light rectangular window set in gable above with splayed stone mullions.
Porch interior has large rectangular recess in west wall. Pointed chamfered south doorway with arch and jambs in one, plank door and re-used C16 timbers in roof. Pointed three light window to west of porch with restored intersecting tracery, with hoodmould. Two stage angle buttresses on west corner. West end of south aisle has pointed two light window with restored 'Y' tracery and hoodmould. Moulded eaves and battlements run full length of aisle with blind traceried bases of five pinnacles. C15 clerestory with four, three light windows with flattened triangular heads and hoodmould joined together by stringcourse. Moulded eaves, battlements and four complete, ornate pinnacles. Interior C12 tower arch restored in 1884, has large pointed head of two orders. Inner arch chamfered with billet and chipstar decoration, outer arch plain. Heavy multi-scalloped capitals and moulded abaci. Above, to the north, a round headed opening restored in C19, with hoodmould. Four bay mid C13 north and south arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, plain capitals and double chamfered pointed arches. South arcade abaci decorated with series of grooves. C15 tie beam timber roof restored in C19 and C20. Mid C13 chancel arch with polygonal responds, plain capitals, moulded abaci and double chamfered, pointed head.
Chancel interior, by Fowler with three large ornate monuments and two large piscina and single, small piscina. Altar rail of c1730. Reredos of 1872 re-using C16 carved panels, probably from the Netherlands including scenes from the life of Christ, man riding a seahorse and a woman surrounded by stylised waves. Fragments of early C14 canopies of stained glass in north and south chancel windows.C19 five sided pulpit with heavily traceried panels. C12 octagonal stone font with C19 base. C20 lectern and pews. Various C19 monuments. Two C18 hatchments in tower.
Listing NGR: TF1571290898
Other nearby listed buildings