This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3949 / 53°23'41"N
Longitude: -0.7717 / 0°46'18"W
OS Eastings: 481773
OS Northings: 389381
OS Grid: SK817893
Mapcode National: GBR RY15.QQ
Mapcode Global: WHFFZ.3XSR
Entry Name: Trinity Arts Centre (Formerly Church of the Holy Trinity)
Listing Date: 12 May 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196354
Location: Gainsborough, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Gainsborough
Built-Up Area: Gainsborough
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Gainsborough All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
910/2/142 TRINITY STREET
12-MAY-77 (East side)
TRINITY ARTS CENTRE (FORMERLY CHURCH O
F THE HOLY TRINITY)
(Formerly listed as:
CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY)
DATES OF MAIN PHASES/ NAMES OF ARCHITECTS:
Built in 1841-3 to designs by Thomas Johnson of Lichfield. Chancel enlarged in 1871 by J L Pearson. Further work in 1911 including a vestry extension on the SE side of the chancel in 1911 to designs by William Scorer and Henry Gamble. It became redundant in 1973 and was converted to an arts centre in 1982-4 by T R Benton of Sleaford.
PLAN: Cruciform. Unaisled nave, chancel and large N and S transepts. W tower. Extension on S side.
Thin, pre-archaeological Gothic with narrow lancet windows and thin buttresses. The tall, slender W tower is set within the body of the nave, and the spire forms an important landmark. Very large transepts. Brick extension to the S of 1982-4 has a low clerestory and a catslide roof with the nave. The windows were also largely blocked during this work.
The interior has been entirely converted to an arts centre and theatre, but the C19 roof forms an important feature of the theatre space.
None. Interior entirely converted to other uses.
The church was built in 1841-3 to accommodate the growing population of Gainsborough. Its cruciform plan, with a tiny chancel, large, three bay transepts and an unaisled nave with a W gallery was designed for pre-Tractarian, prayer book worship, with pews facing inwards from three sides. The architect, Thomas Johnson of Lichfield (1794-1865) built a number of churches in the Midlands. It was repaired and the chancel enlarged in 1871, and there was further work in 1911. It became redundant in 1973 and was converted into an arts centre in 1982-4.
Buildings of England: Lincolnshire (2002), 295
Lambeth Palace Library ICBS 02772, 10971
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The (former) church of Holy Trinity, Gainsborough is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Redundant church of 1841-3 by T Johnson of Lichfield, ashlar faced in a plain, pre-archaeological Gothic style.
* Chancel enlarged in 1871, with further work in 1911 and in 1982-4 following conversion to an arts centre.
* Tall W tower and spire form an important landmark.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings