This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1827 / 53°10'57"N
Longitude: 0.0545 / 0°3'16"E
OS Eastings: 537385
OS Northings: 367034
OS Grid: TF373670
Mapcode National: GBR KVD.GL0
Mapcode Global: WHHKS.T83F
Entry Name: Methodist Chapel and Stables at Raithby Hall
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Last Amended: 28 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196152
Location: Raithby, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, PE23
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Raithby
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Raithby Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
RAITHBY MAIN STREET
TF 36 NE
2/37 Methodist Chapel and
Stables at Raithby Hall
(formerly listed as
Methodist chapel and stables. c.1760, altered 1779 by Robert
Carr Brackenbury and dedicated by John Wesley on 5th July 1779.
Red brick in Flemish bond, hipped Westmorland slate roof with
lead dressings. Stable to ground floor, chapel over. 2 storey,
3 bay front with first floor band and corbelled out eaves course.
Central planked door with rendered panel over, set in semi-
circular headed surround with painted ashlar key and impost
blocks. Flanked by single C19 plain sashes. To first floor a
central semi-circular headed glazing bar sash is flanked by
single glazing bar sashes with slightly cambered heads. All
openings have rubbed brick arches. The first floor chapel
appears to have been added to the stables at a slightly later
date. To the left an added blank bay containing the chapel
stair, with ball finial to plain parapet. Left hand side front
has double planked doors under semi-circular arched stucco head.
Above a tripartite sash with brick tympanum under semi-circular
stucco head. To the rear the chapel has 3 glazing bar sashes,
the central one with a semi-circular head and a planked doorway
with segmental head to ground floor. Interior. Semi-circular
archway beneath a divided double flight stone stair to first
floor chapel, with turned and knopped balusters, turned newel,
moulded hand rail. Balustrade returns to window. Fine double
panelled doors, set in panelled reveals with moulded wooden
architrave, dentillated cornice on scrolled brackets, and
pediment. Interior of chapel retains double panel dado
panelling. On the right hand side a hat rack for the men's pews.
Dentillated cornice. Segmental vaulted plaster ceiling. 3 sets
of contemporary box pews to rear. Moulded communion rail on
turned and knopped balusters set in a square beneath the pulpit
which has matching balustrade. Octagonal tester, dentillated
with entasia star. The stable retains 5 stalls with planked
ramped partitions, chamfered verticals, wooden mangers and
hayracks. John Wesley reputedly tied his horse up at one of the
stalls on his visits to Raithby. He also preached here on 3rd
July 1788 to a packed congregation as recorded in his Journal.
Listing NGR: TF3738567034
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings