This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2205 / 53°13'13"N
Longitude: 0.1747 / 0°10'28"E
OS Eastings: 545292
OS Northings: 371479
OS Grid: TF452714
Mapcode National: GBR LWH.30K
Mapcode Global: WHJLS.N9DY
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063660
English Heritage Legacy ID: 195929
Location: Claxby St. Andrew, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN13
District: East Lindsey
Civil Parish: Claxby St Andrew
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Willoughby St Helen
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
CLAXBY WILLOUGHBY ROAD
TF 47 SE (south side)
5/2 Church of
Parish church, now disused. 1846. Stock brick, ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs. Coped gables. Single ridge crosses to
the east nave and east chancel. Raised eaves band to the nave
with dentil decoration. Pilaster buttresses. Continuous sill
band to all but the west nave and vestry. Nave with west
bellcote, chancel and south vestry. Gabled bellcote, the west
side supported on 4 decorative corbels. Cable moulded arch for
bell supported on single colonnettes with scalloped capitals.
West wall with doorway set into a shallow lean-to. 2 pairs of
colonnettes with scalloped capitals support arches of cehvron.
Chevron and bobbin moulded hood mould with grotesque head label
stops. Above, set in to an arched recess with chamfered ashlar
band under is a single window with 3 arched lights, the central
light being taller and flanked by single colonnettes with
scalloped capitals. All 3 with chevron moulded architraves.
Hood mould and grotesque label stops. The north nave has 2
arched windows with chevron moulded architraves. The east
chancel window has 3 arched lights, the single central light
being tallest. The east vestry has a single arched light. The
south nave wall corresponds to the north nave. Interior. Moulded
chancel arch supported on single pair of responds with capitals
decorated with cable and zigzag. Either side and flanking the
arch are single arched shallow niches each with single pair of
responds with scalloped capital supporting the moulded arch.
Similar arch from rear of pulpit to vestry. East window with 4
colonnettes with scalloped capitals supporting decorative moulded
arch over. Low altar rails, small columns with scalloped
capitals support arches of cable, dogtooth and chevron, ashlar
rail over. Doorway from south chancel to vestry. Decorative C19
circular ashlar font. The floor of the chancel is tiled. East
nave with brass plaque to Richard Johnson, 1607.
Listing NGR: TF4529271479
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings