History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Huntingdon Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Worcester, Worcestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1917 / 52°11'30"N

Longitude: -2.2221 / 2°13'19"W

OS Eastings: 384913

OS Northings: 254856

OS Grid: SO849548

Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.H0Z

Mapcode Global: VH92T.F5MN

Plus Code: 9C4V5QRH+M5

Entry Name: Huntingdon Hall

Listing Date: 22 May 1954

Last Amended: 27 June 2001

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1063893

English Heritage Legacy ID: 488527

Location: Cathedral, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1

County: Worcestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral

Built-Up Area: Worcester

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in



620-1/16/151 Huntingdon Hall
22/5/54 (Formerly Listed as:
Countess of Huntingdon's
(Connexion) Chapel)
(Formerly Listed as:

Formerly known as: Countess of Huntingdon's (Connexion) Chapel
Includes: Huntingdon Hall CROWN GATE. Chapel, now concert hall.
Built 1804, enlarged 1815. For the Countess of Huntingdon's
Connexion. Restored and converted toa concert hall and arts
centre by the City of Worcester Building Preservation Trust and
re-opened 1987. Original block to West (left) of pinkish-brown
brick in English Garden Wall bond with renewed stone sills, and
hipped plain tile roof; range at East is brick with painted
stucco to front facade scored in imitation of ashlar with
concealed roof. T-shape on plan with rectangular block to right
with facade angled to follow line of street, ovoid range added to
East includes full-height bows at front and rear. Single tall
storey,1:1:1:3 windows. Left range: entrance to centre of bow has
double 16-raised-and-fielded-panel doors in Roman Doric porch
with columnar reveals, Dentil frieze with incised Greek fret,
Modillion cornice. To either side of entrance a tall,
round-arched 48/72 pane sash with radial glazing bars to head,
curved on section, in plain, stepped reveals. Frieze and
ovolo-moulded cornice. Low coped parapet. Range to right: lower
stage has three 24-pane fixed light windows in near-flush frames
(renewed) with renewed sills, under segmental arches. Above each
of these a round-arched, 24/24replacement fixed light window in
near-flush frame and with round arches of gauged brick. Cogged
eaves band. Rear of West range similar to its front facade;
further entrance to West return has double panelled doors. Left
return: two round-arched 30/18 fixed-light windows(truncated)
with radial glazing bars to heads, with sills and in stepped
reveals under renewed round arches. Bow to rear has two 30/36
round-arched sashes curved on section, with radial glazing bars
to head. Stepped band. Right return: projecting porch to 3/4
height, double panelled doors in segmental-arched surround with
plain arch on imposts and with keystone. Above this an 18-light
window and inscription plaque on corbels inscribed: "The Countess
of Huntingdon's Hall". At right, steps to gallery entrance,
6-flush-beaded-panel door in similar surround. To either side of
main entrance are round-arched, multi-pane windows.
INTERIOR: a fine, intact survival of its type. The ovoid block
forms the East end, divided from main block by 3 arches on
cast-iron cluster columns and corbels to responds, the outer
arches are 4-centred, the central arch is cambered. Panelled
gallery on slender cast-iron column-clusters running full circuit
and curved around bows. Panelled box pews to lower stage, stepped
benches with panelled backs to gallery. Dado has
raised-and-fielded-panelled dado to lower stage, sunk panels to
upper stage. To West end a part-glazed screen and clock in front
of gallery. East end has organ with 4 towers of pipes; pulpit on
4 fluted Doric columns stands before it with twin staircases
having ornate cast-iron balusters and wreathed handrail, carved
tread ends; 2 eagle lecterns; ornate cast-iron communion rails.
4-panel doors. Original stairs curve around East bows with curved
mahogany handrail. To upper stage are 2 boards recording
'Benefactions'. East end has 2 stained glass windows, otherwise
some stained glass panels. Quatrefoil inscription tablets to East
end. Plain ceiling with oval and circular Adam-style ventilating
grilles. Some marble wall tablets, mainly late C19 and early C20.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Lady Huntingdon visited Worcester in 1769 at
which time her Connexion had 200 followers.
Forms one unit with No.16 Deansway (qv).
NMR photographs. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N:
Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 322; RCHME:
Non-Conformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England:
London: 1986-: 258-9).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.