This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1811 / 52°10'51"N
Longitude: -2.2078 / 2°12'27"W
OS Eastings: 385889
OS Northings: 253667
OS Grid: SO858536
Mapcode National: GBR 1GC.6MY
Mapcode Global: VH92T.PF6V
Plus Code: 9C4V5QJR+CV
Entry Name: Gatehouse to St Mary's Convent School and Attached Wall to North
Listing Date: 18 February 1999
Last Amended: 5 July 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488525
Location: Worcester, Worcestershire, WR5
Electoral Ward/Division: Battenhall
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester, St Martin with St Peter and Whittington
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO85SE BATTLE ROAD
620-1/4/684 (South East side)
01/02/99 Gatehouse to St Mary's
Convent School and attached
wall to north
(Formerly Listed as:
Gatehouse to St Mary's
Gatehouse with gates, piers and attached walls. Dated 1893 on
stack. For Alfred Percy Allsopp, by architect John Henry Williams
of Foregate Street, Worcester; builders Joseph Woods and Sons,
The Butts, Worcester. Gault brick with glazed tiles; pseudo
timber-framing to first-floor and fish-scale, plain tile roof;
tall brick ridge, rear and roof stacks with cornices and
oversailing courses, resembling clusters. Brick and tile walls.
Cast-iron gates. Tudor Revival style.
PLAN: irregular composition in L-plan, with single-storey and
attic range to left; wide single-bay gateway with gabled storey
over; tall 2-storey on basement, single-bay range with jettied
gable over and 3-storey tower. Off-centre left gateway has
elliptical arch with ovolo-moulded surround and hoodmould.
Otherwise entrance to right at base of tower, a plank door.
Ground-floor has 5-light mullion window to left range and
4-light, mullion and tramsom window to right. Upper stage: attic
roof dormer at left with decorative bargeboards; 4-light
wooden-mullion window in gable over archway; and oriel window to
first-floor of right range; all with multi-pane lights. Tower has
2-light mullion and transom window to first-floor and crowning
octagonal turret with cusped lights, ogee dome. To right return a
2-storey range breaks forward and has mullion windows to
ground-floor and multi-pane casements to first-floor. Rear is
jettied to first-floor and has jettied gables over. Multi-pane
transomed windows to ground-floor and 3- and 4-light, multi-pane
windows on corbelled sills to first-floor. 4-light window over
gateway. Carved bargeboards. Double carriage gates have ornate
scrolled motifs. Embattled walls approximately one metre high.
Quadrant wall to left of carriage arch approximately 5 metres
long has octagonal pier to each end, that to right abuts
pedestrian gateway with low piers, square on plan and with ogee
caps; further stretch of embattled wall rising to two metres in
height, for approximately 6 metres. Battlements embellished with
scrolled vine motif.
An impressive example of a Domestic Revival gatehouse, forms a
group with St. Mary's Convent School, and St. Mary's Convent
Junior School and Kindergarten, Battenhall Avenue (qqv). (Leach,
Annette: The House that William Built - the history of Battenhall
Mount: Birmingham University: 1993-).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings