History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Burton Chateau

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gate Burton, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3412 / 53°20'28"N

Longitude: -0.7549 / 0°45'17"W

OS Eastings: 482997

OS Northings: 383419

OS Grid: SK829834

Mapcode National: GBR RY5T.C0

Mapcode Global: WHFGC.C8RX

Plus Code: 9C5X86RW+F2

Entry Name: Burton Chateau

Listing Date: 16 December 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 197054

Location: Gate Burton, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, DN21

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Gate Burton

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Gate Burton St Helen

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Marton

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/11/2020

SK 88 SW
3/7

GATE BURTON
GAINSBOROUGH ROAD (west side)
Burton Chateau

16.12.64

II*

Temple folly. 1747 by John Platt of Rotherham. Red brick and limestone ashlar. Shallow hipped slate roofs with tall, ashlar coped stack to rear. Rectangular plan with small, narrower, lower rectangular projections to north-east and south-west. Two storey, five bay front with central three bays projecting far forward. Rusticated basement with central doorway with panelled door, flanked by two square, glazing bar sashes on each side. North-east and south-west faces of projecting block each with single square dummy basement window. Flat ashlar band above basement with red brick first floor. Central three bays with flanking ashlar Ionic pilasters, outer bays with plain pilasters on outer corners. Central window with balustrade, ornately moulded ashlar architrave and glazing bar sash. Central window with two glazing bar sashes on each side, with moulded ashlar architraves. Single brick niches with ashlar architraves on north-east and south-west faces of projecting block. Moulded architrave, pulvinated frieze, modillioned cornice and brick parapet above central three bays, with single ornate urns on each corner. Entablature with triglyphs and metopes and modillioned cornice above outer, lower bays, with single ornate urns on each corner. North-east and south-west ends with single square dummy windows in rusticated basement and single glazing bar sashes above with moulded ashlar architraves. The rear facade identical to the front facade with the exception of the central doorway and central window replaced by brick, ashlar dressed niche.

John Platt had been an apprentice to his stone mason father George Platt (known for designing and building Cusworth Hall near Doncaster). The elevation of the Chateaux with the note "Built for T Hutton at Burton near Gainsbro [Lincolnshire] p. J Platt, 1747 and 1748" is in Sheffield Archives.

Listing NGR: SK8299783419

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.