This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2684 / 53°16'6"N
Longitude: -0.5298 / 0°31'47"W
OS Eastings: 498148
OS Northings: 375613
OS Grid: SK981756
Mapcode National: GBR SZRN.32
Mapcode Global: WHGHZ.T3WP
Entry Name: Riseholme Hall
Listing Date: 31 January 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064121
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196933
Location: Riseholme, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN2
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Riseholme
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Riseholme St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 97 NE RISEHOLME off RISEHOLME LANE
4/62 Riseholme Hall
(Lindsey College of
31.1.52 Agriculture )
Former country house, now College of Agriculture. Early C18,
refaced and extended in 1840 by William Railton in Italianate
style, Ashlar and render with hipped slate roofs, 5 tall ashlar
stacks, 2 wall and 3 ridge. The 2 storey ashlar main block has
a plinth, first floor cill band, balustraded parapet, and
rusticated quoins. The entrance front has 7 bays arranged 2:3:2,
the central bays being slightly advanced. Before the front is a
3 bay porte-cochere with semi-circular arches with key and impost
blocks, flanked by Doric columns in antis; the middle bay also
has full Doric columns, all supporting a triglyph frieze and
modillioned cornice. The central half glazed panelled door has a
plain overlight with to either side 3 tall glazing bar sashes.
To the first floor are 7 smaller glazing bar sashes. The central
3 bays at first floor level are divided by rusticated vertical
strips and surmounted by a blank parapet with vermiculated
panels. To the left is a lower 10 bay rendered service wing.
The right hand side front consists of 6 bays of glazing bar
sashes. The garden front is also arranged 2:3:2 with the middle
3 bays slightly adanced and bowed. Before the front is a 7 bay
loggia supported on Doric columns, the third pairs of which,
towards the centre, are in antis. The columns support a deep
modillioned cornice with triglyph frieze. The central double
glazed doors have an overlight and are flanked by 3 tall glazing
bar sashes. To the first floor are 7 smaller glazing bar sashes.
All windows have moulded architraves, and, except those beneath
the loggia, cornices. To the right of the main block is a lower
3 bay range slightly recessed and rendered. This is the remnant
of the early C18 house. It has an off centre C19 half glazed
door with side lights and to the right 3 glazing bar sashes with
thicker glazing bars and moulded architraves having raised
keyblocks. To first floor are 3 smaller similar windows and
above is a plain cornice and parapet. Interior. A large
rectangular lightwell off the entrance hall with cast iron
balcony to first floor, in vertical panels linked by intersecting
circles. Above the modillioned cornice is a coved panelled
ceiling with decorative pendants marking vertical pilasters which
surround a raised rectangular light. The ceiling over has a
highly decorative recessed oval panel with doves with laurel
leaves in the corners. The stone dog leg staircase has outsize
stone balusters and handrail. On the newel post is a wrought
iron lampstand. The house was altered for the Bishops of
Lincoln's country residence. The C18 house is shown in the Banks
Collection, by J. C. Nattes, dated 1803, where the current
service wing can be seen to the right of the main house.
Listing NGR: SK9814875613
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings