This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4099 / 51°24'35"N
Longitude: 0.0751 / 0°4'30"E
OS Eastings: 544417
OS Northings: 169919
OS Grid: TQ444699
Mapcode National: GBR NP.ZKN
Mapcode Global: VHHNY.8T2J
Plus Code: 9F32C35G+X3
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 25 August 1954
Last Amended: 29 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358409
Location: Bromley, London, BR7
Electoral Ward/Division: Chislehurst
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Chislehurst St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
CHURCH ROW, CHISLEHURST
Church of St Nicholas (formerly
listed under Church Lane)
TQ 46 NW 5/66 25.8.54
the Grade shall be amended to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as
Parish church. c.1460, incorporating earlier work; restored
1557, enlarged with some rebuilding in 1849 by Benjamin Ferry,
1858 by Wollaston, 1896 by Bodley and Garner. Flint rubble
with stone dressings; nave roof tiled, north aisle roof of
slate. Nave with aisles, chancel with north vestry; tower over
west bay of north aisle, c.1460, with tall, shingled broach
spire rebuilt by Wollaston in 1858. South aisle and vestry
added by Ferrey in Perpendicular style; he also worked on the
chancel, which was then enlarged by Bodley and Garner with new
east end; their's the partially infilled three-light traceried
east-window and the more ornamental stone dressings of the
east wall. Ferrey's aisle tracery simpler: paired cusped
lights under hood moulds.
INTERIOR: Opening high on west wall of nave is a remnant of
the original small Saxon church. Four-bay arcade on quatrefoil
piers. Arches with two chamfers, tower arches with three; all
C15. Door to tower dated 1586. Braced collar rafter roof.
Original Perpendicular screens separate nave from chancel and
north aisle. Chancel refitted by Bodley and Garner with
painted wagon roof, and reredos - with alabasters - of 1896.
Sanctuary paving 1896 by Farmer and Brindley, and sanctuary
glass of same date by Burlison and Grylls. One south window
1900 by Kempe. Organ case 1888. Font: Norman, with square,
acaded bowl on five shafts.
Many fine monuments from C16 to C19, especially Walsingham
tomb (1550) and Warwick cartouche (1682).
CHURCH ROW, CHISLEHURST
Church of St Nicholas
(Formerly Listed under
TQ 46 W 5/66 25.8.54.
Flint, rubble with stone dressings restored in 1557. North-West Tower,
nave with aisles, chancel and vestry to North of chancel. The South aisle
and vestry added in 1849, when file chancel was restored by Bodley, Shingled
broached spire. Interior has braced collar rafter roof and wagon roof in
chancel. Monuments. Norman font. Door under tower dated 1586.
Listing NGR: TQ4441769919
Other nearby listed buildings