History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Lawrence

A Grade I Listed Building in Surfleet, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8371 / 52°50'13"N

Longitude: -0.1438 / 0°8'37"W

OS Eastings: 525136

OS Northings: 328231

OS Grid: TF251282

Mapcode National: GBR HWR.0GZ

Mapcode Global: WHHM7.RYQF

Plus Code: 9C4XRVP4+RF

Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 7 February 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064403

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198229

Location: Surfleet, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Surfleet

Built-Up Area: Surfleet Seas End

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Surfleet

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


TF 22 NE
(east side)
8/115 Church of
St. Lawrence
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1830 and 1900-1908.
Coursed and squared limestone rubble, lead and plain tiled roofs.
Western tower with spire, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel,
south porch. Leaning 3 stage C14 tower with stepped angle
buttresses, battlemented parapet. Recessed spire with one set of
lucarnes in the 4 principal directions. To the belfry stage are
2 light bell openings with trefoil heads to the lights and
quatrefoil over, in deeply moulded pointed surround. Below an
ogee headed cusped lancet. The west door is pointed and
continuously moulded. Above is a 2 light window with reticulated
tracery. The battlemented north aisle has a ballflower frieze,
and stepped buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. 4 large, one at
each end and 2 to the north, 4 light Perpendicular windows with
panel tracery and a small pointed doorway in continuously moulded
surround. Battlemented nave clerestory with 3 three light
windows with chamfered 4 centred surrounds. Lead rainwater
hoppers dated 1830. Beyond to the east a blocked nave arch
contains a further 4 light Perpendicular window. Collyweston
tiled chancel has a 3 light window with hollow chamfered
rectangular surround and moulded mullions. In the east end a
reset 3 light C15 window. In the south wall a pointed doorway
with rectangular surround and hood, and a 3 light window matching
that on the north. The south aisle has a tall 3 light early C15
window with cusped heads to the lights. On the south side 3
similar windows with moulded reveals and 4 centred head, and one
similar to the west. Gabled south porch, with embattled parapet
with pinnacles. C13 dogtooth moulded pointed outer arch with
circular responds and annular capitals. The inner doorway is
C14, continuously moulded with hollow chamfer and filleted hood.
Reset C12 corbels. Interior. C14 4 bay nave arcades, with C13
bases to piers, the north arcade is blocked at the easternment
bay. Quatrefoil piers with annular capitals and double roll
moulded arches. The westernmost piers have been buttressed to
prevent the nave from moving further westwards. Tall narrow C14
tower arch with triple chamfered surround, filleted responds and
annular capitals. The triangular corbels remain for an earlier
nave roof. The present tie beam roof is dated 1830. Chancel
arch is double chamfered with circular responds and demi shafts.
The chancel has been shortened and contains reset medieval glass
in the south side. Fittings. C17 pulpit, octagonal, panelled
oak sides with chip carved paterae. Early C15 octagonal font
with quatrelobes with shields and fleurons to sides, buttressed
stem with niches and further quatrelobes. Royal Arms and a
hatchment in the south aisle. Monuments. In chancel a C14 full
length effigy, 1313-1347, of Sir Hugh de Cressy, a knight in
chain mail and surcoat, head on lozenge shaped cushion, feet on a
lion, covered by a cusped canopy now set in the east wall. On
the north wall a marble plaque to Henry Heron, d.l730, with an
open pediment and cherub. In the south aisle are 2 C18
monuments, to Everard Buckworth d.1751 and 1792, marble wall
monuments with Doric pilasters, urns and armorial escutcheons.

Listing NGR: TF2513328230

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.