History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old School Building at Cowleys School

A Grade II Listed Building in Donington, Lincolnshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9052 / 52°54'18"N

Longitude: -0.1993 / 0°11'57"W

OS Eastings: 521203

OS Northings: 335712

OS Grid: TF212357

Mapcode National: GBR HVP.Y4B

Mapcode Global: WHHM0.X78N

Entry Name: Old School Building at Cowleys School

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 13 January 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064457

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198146

Location: Donington, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland

Civil Parish: Donington

Built-Up Area: Donington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Donington St Mary and the Holy Rood

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Donington

Listing Text

DONINGTON SCHOOL LANE
TF 23 NW
(north side)
2/30 Old School Building
25.10.51 at Cowleys School
(formerly listed as Donington
Cowley's Secondary School) )
G.V. II
School. Founded by Thomas Cowley in 1719, partly rebuilt after a
fire in 1812, altered C19 and C20. Red brown brick in English
bond, ashlar and stucco dressings. Machine plain tiled roof with
reused stone coped gables and decorative knops. Wooden bellcote
with shaped lead roof. To the rear a tall wall stack. 2 storey,
6 bay front with ashlar plinth, first floor band and quoins.
Timber dentillated eaves cornice. Central C19 lead roofed stucco
porch with angle pilasters, plain frieze, moulded cornice to
segmental pediment. Double half glazed doors with bordered
lights. To left 3 and to right 2 large cross mullioned windows.
To right a doorway with moulded ashlar surround and cornice,
beyond a narrow C19 fixed light. To first floor are 6 two light
casement windows. All windows have flat splayed brick arched
heads with keyblocks and moulded ashlar cills. Above the door a
C18 oval sundial, with inscription above. Beneath it a tablet
records the foundation of the school by T. Cowley in 1719 and its
rebuilding in AD 1812. On the quoins are many graffiti
inscriptions, including a footprint dated 1795.


Listing NGR: TF2120335712

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.