This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8203 / 52°49'13"N
Longitude: -0.1074 / 0°6'26"W
OS Eastings: 527635
OS Northings: 326433
OS Grid: TF276264
Mapcode National: GBR JY9.3NQ
Mapcode Global: WHHMG.BC3Q
Plus Code: 9C4XRVCV+42
Entry Name: The Wykeham Chapel of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 7 February 1967
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064471
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198083
Location: Weston, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12
District: South Holland
Civil Parish: Weston
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Weston St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
WESTON THE CHASE
TF 22 NE (north side)
4/121 The Wykeham Chapel of
St Nicholas (formerly listed as
7.2.67 Ruins of Wykeham Chapel)
Private chapel, now ruin. 1311, late C18, late C19. Limestone
ashlar, some red brick patching. Nave and chancel in one.
Moulded plinth and string course, regularly placed 4 stage
buttresses with south west polygonal stair turret with slit
lights. West front with large pointed window with slender nook
shafts and hood mould, now blocked with brick. Outline of
building formerly attached to west after the window was blocked;
with rectangular window to right breaking into original window
opening, with ashlar gabled wall above. Rectangular blocked
window and doorway with Caernarvon head to right. Various
corbels below. North side with 3 large pointed windows
alternating with buttresses; that to the right, blocked; those
to the left each with 3 lights and intersecting tracery. East
end with large pointed window with flanking buttresses and sill
band; nook shafts, hood mould and fragmentary tracery in head.
Low late C19 ashlar walls run to east enclosing private
graveyard, with wrought iron railing, and gateway to south.
South side of chapel with doorway to left with pointed head,
continuously moulded surround of 2 orders, and wrought iron gate.
3 large pointed windows above; that to left, blocked; that in
centre with reticulated tracery and 3 ogee headed lights; and
that to right with 3 pointed lights and intersecting tracery.
Small rectangular opening in bay to left. Interior with east and
west windows with nook shafts and hood moulds. East window
flanked by ornate, crocketed and finialled single niches with
flanking pinnacles. South-west pointed doorway to stair turret,
with continuous chamfered surround. Above south doorway is a
shelf with various fragments sculpted with shields. Gable
outlines above east and west gables. Built for Prior Hatfield of
Spalding as a private chapel for his country house. Scheduled as
Ancient Monument No. 45.
Listing NGR: TF2763526433
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings