This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7451 / 52°44'42"N
Longitude: 0.0674 / 0°4'2"E
OS Eastings: 539654
OS Northings: 318393
OS Grid: TF396183
Mapcode National: GBR L0M.ZVF
Mapcode Global: WHJP2.08DC
Plus Code: 9F42P3W8+3X
Entry Name: Chancel to Church St James
Listing Date: 30 June 1966
Last Amended: 26 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 197939
Location: Sutton St. James, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12
District: South Holland
Civil Parish: Sutton St James
Built-Up Area: Sutton St James
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton St James
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SUTTON ST. JAMES CHAPEL GATE
TF 31 NE (north side)
6/93 Chancel to Church
30.6.66 formerly listed as
part of Church of
Chancel of church. C15, heavily restored 1879 and 1894, C20
extension. Ashlar, red brick, dressed coursed rubble. Plain
tile roofs with coped gables and decorative ridge cross to the
east. Chancel with C19 apsidal east end and C19 north aisle, C20
extension to west. West wall with evidence of former nave roof
line. West wall of aisle with single C19 single light pointed
arched window with cusped tracery. North wall with 3 C19 pointed
arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery. East wall with
single window as west wall. East chancel, set on a moulded
plinth extending to the south chancel, has 3 C19 pointed arched 2
light windows with cusped tracery, hood mould, label stops and
sill bands. The single central window with animal head label
stops. South chancel with 3 C19 pointed arched 3 light windows
with cusped tracery, hood mould and sill bands. The single
central window truncated and with blocked basket arched C15
doorway with hood mould under. Inner moulded arched west doorway
with Tudor style hood mould with foliate carved spandrels.
Interior. 3 bay C19 nave arcades with quatrefoil columns and
responds with moulded arches. Double chamfered C15 chancel arch
with inner order of octagonal responds and moulded capitals.
Single quatrefoil to right. Octagonal font, the C15 bowl with
cusped panels. Some C18 fragments incorporated in the pulpit.
The nave was destroyed during the Commonwealth.
Listing NGR: TF3965418393
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings