This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5111 / 51°30'40"N
Longitude: -0.0912 / 0°5'28"W
OS Eastings: 532558
OS Northings: 180861
OS Grid: TQ325808
Mapcode National: GBR RD.NG
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.C8NX
Plus Code: 9C3XGW65+FG
Entry Name: Skinners Hall
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064686
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199429
Location: City of London, London, EC4R
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Dowgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St James Garlickhythe
Church of England Diocese: London
DOWGATE HILL EC4
Nos 8 and 9
TQ 3280 NE 16/421 4.1.50.
Includes Nos 8 and 9 Cloak Lane. Late C17, altered. Late C18 front range, 3 storeys
plus slated mansard. Distinguished painted facade, 5 windows. Rusticated, arcaded
ground storey with order of 4 Ionic pilasters above, supporting enriched frieze
and pediment with sculpture in tympanum. Entrance at either side, that to south
leading through finely vaulted passage to courtyard with decorative iron gates.
Pairs of later C19 cast iron lamp standards to each entrance. No 9 is a plain,
southward continuation in pinkish brick. Dated 1779 on lead rainwater head. 2
windows. Round arched doorway. 1 dormer in tiled mansard. Rear of pinkish brick
with painted cornice and parapet. 2 lead rainwater heads. Tiled roof. Courtyard
has late C19/early C20 cloister of Portland stone on 3 sides with C18 railing set
on top of boundary wall to south. To west is hall with former kitchen to north.
Basically late C17, of red and black brick with segmentally arched windows (mostly
blocked), painted cornice and parapet. Richly carved, arched doorcase with segmental
pediment. Elaborated window above with iron balcony. Interior of hall remodelled
in C19 and later, with wainscot, enriched plaster ceiling etc and screens entry
with gallery over. Upper walls decorated with fine series of paintings by Sir
Frank Brangwyn. Mid C19 vaulted corridor to west has 3, tall reliefs by Anning
Bell. Rear wing contains very fine original staircase its walls altered in C18
and part removed recently to open up old Court room which is largely C20. Present
Court room on 1st floor is unusually fine late C17 room with cedar panelling etc
and relatively modern ceiling in old style. Panelled committee room of same date
to south. Exposed exterior of this wing of patched red brick with parapet etc
of yellow brick. Storey bands. 2 C18 lead rainwater heads. Modern, arcaded screen-wall
in front. Lower, irregular wing to south with wine vaults beneath. Early C20
north front to Cloaks Lane of red brick and Portland stone in modified 'Wren' style.
3 storeys plus slated mansard. 4 windows 2 arched openings to ground storey 1
with wooden gates and coat of arms in iron grille above. Window and secondary
door in centre linked. Big, modillion cornice and 3 dormers. Scheduled AM.
Listing NGR: TQ3253980866
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings