This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5144 / 51°30'51"N
Longitude: -0.1015 / 0°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 531831
OS Northings: 181201
OS Grid: TQ318812
Mapcode National: GBR PC.C9
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.665F
Plus Code: 9C3XGV7X+P9
Entry Name: Stationers' Hall
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Last Amended: 10 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064742
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199293
Location: Farringdon, City of London, London, EC4M
County: City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Within
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3181 SE
AVE MARIA LANE EC4 (West Side)
Stationers Hall Court
(Formerly listed as Stationers' Hall, AVE MARIA LANE, previously listed under Ludgate Hill)
Late C17 and later. Hall circa 1670, refaced by Robert Mylne in 1800. East side of Portland stone with four round-arched windows and doorway with arch above. Small cornice and high parapet with Coade stone panels. Semi-circular steps and pair of ornamental lamp standards to entrance. Second, lower entrance to basement. Fine lead rainwater head. Rear rendered in plain manner.
Interior has coved plaster ceiling of C19 character. Fine original screen, with modest staircase, also doorcases, dressers panelling etc with much carving. C19 stained glass. Further fine carved C17 joinery in Stock Room to east, which with adjoining staircase dates from 1887. This wing has high basement and is faced in Portland stone with slated roof and a low spire above a bay window. Small, stone-faced addition at south end of hall with entrance below. Courtroom, to north of rear garden has been rebuilt but retains some C18 features. To west is simple, original building of one storey now stuccoed. Mullioned and transomed windows. Hipped, tiled roof. South side of garden is enclosed by St Martin's Church.
Listing NGR: TQ3183181201
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings