This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6148 / 51°36'53"N
Longitude: -0.2618 / 0°15'42"W
OS Eastings: 520445
OS Northings: 192094
OS Grid: TQ204920
Mapcode National: GBR 8J.YGY
Mapcode Global: VHGQB.DNYY
Entry Name: John Keble Church
Listing Date: 18 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199240
Location: Barnet, London, HA8
Electoral Ward/Division: Hale
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: John Keble Mill Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
The following building shall be added:
TQ 29 SW CHURCH CLOSE
5/34 John Keble Church
Church. 1936, by D F Martin Smith. Concrete frame clad in stock brick; flat
concrete roofs. Nave and sanctuary in main body of church with projecting ranges
housing north and south aisles, west tower, and similar ranges surrounding
sanctuary which house vestry, offices and Lady Chapel. Modern Movement style.
3-light east window with concrete lintel over raised brick architrave and square
brick mullions framing metal casements; similar 2-light windows to sides of
one-bay sanctuary and to 3-bay nave aisles. Porches in west angles of nave
and aisles each have panelled double doors. Plain concrete coping to sanctuary
and aisles and splayed cornice to main taller body of nave. West tower has
small 2-light windows set in raised concrete architraves; west elevation has
similar 3-light window above panel, inscribed with phoenix and the name JOHN
KEBLE,which is splayed inwards above recessed bay with grid-like 20-light concrete-
framed window; flat hood above panelled double doors; louvred belfry surmounted
by mosaic copper cross and ball covered in gold leaf. Interior: white plastered
walls; sanctuary floor of cream-coloured artificial stone; fine blue and gold
mosaic panel with central dove to sanctuary ceiling; tall wrought-iron candelabra;
triple sedilia and two pulpits. Circular oak font with projecting wrought-iron
candelabra; west porch (beneath tower) is partitioned off by refined 'stripped
Perpendicular' screen with mullioned upper stage above panelled lower stage;
stairs to gallery above porch. Nave exhibits the first use in this country
of the 'Diagrid' roofing system whereby the octagonal concrete roof is filled
in by diagonally-intersecting beams with coloured ceiling boards to infill panels;
this saved 40% on normal construction costs. Its good design and cheap cost
made John Keble Church a very influential design: in 1951, Knopp-Fisher's The
Future of Church Design held it as a sensible prototype for post-war church
(Incorporated Church Building Society, Fifty Modern Churches, 1947, pp 34-7;
Architecture Illustrated, November 1936, pp 179-181).
Listing NGR: TQ2044592094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings