History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Lodge, Entrance Gates, Piers and Railings to East Finchley Cemetery

A Grade II Listed Building in East Finchley, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5928 / 51°35'34"N

Longitude: -0.1822 / 0°10'55"W

OS Eastings: 526017

OS Northings: 189787

OS Grid: TQ260897

Mapcode National: GBR CY.6RN

Mapcode Global: VHGQK.S7J8

Plus Code: 9C3XHRV9+44

Entry Name: Gate Lodge, Entrance Gates, Piers and Railings to East Finchley Cemetery

Listing Date: 2 August 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1064768

English Heritage Legacy ID: 199259

Location: East Finchley Cemetery, Barnet, London, N2

County: London

District: Barnet

Electoral Ward/Division: East Finchley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Barnet

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity East Finchley

Church of England Diocese: London

Tagged with: Gatehouse Guard rail

Find accommodation in


The following building shall be added:

TQ 2589

Gate lodge, entrance gates, piers and railings to East Finchley Cemetery


Gate lodge, gates, and railings to cemetery. 1854, to designs by Barnet and Birch. Kentish
ragstone facing with stone dressings. Roofs of slate. 2 storeys. L-plan with one triple lancet
to East End Road, one oriel to crosswing on return, and scattered fenestration to entrance
range. Gothic Revival style. Entrance set in porch, boarded over at the time of writing,
at join of wings; two-light window above lighting stair hall; moulded stack to return of
crosswing, right return of entrance range and gable end of crosswing. Features of note
include: triple lancet light to ground floor of crosswing with oriel above supported by
moulded corbels. To left a gateway with pedestrian gap and broader carriageway; stepped
coping and parapet. A low parapet wall extends from this to the south east terminating at
east end of site in a pair of gatepiers framing a carriageway; that to left with pedestrian gap.
Piers treated as setback buttresses. Metal gates to all openings. Stone piers and metal railings
extend from low parapet wall attached to the north west corner of the lodge for a total of
fourteen bays (railings to third bay interrupted), turning corner to the A406. Part of a group
of mid-C19 buildings which includes the Nonconformist and Anglican chapels, East End
Road (g.v.). Derelict at the time of inspection (June 1993).

Listing NGR: TQ2601789787

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.