This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3478 / 52°20'51"N
Longitude: 0.995 / 0°59'41"E
OS Eastings: 604087
OS Northings: 276410
OS Grid: TM040764
Mapcode National: GBR SGP.SDY
Mapcode Global: VHKCX.68C1
Plus Code: 9F428XXV+4X
Entry Name: Broomhills
Listing Date: 15 November 1954
Last Amended: 16 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 439723
Location: Rickinghall Inferior, Mid Suffolk, Suffolk, IP22
Civil Parish: Rickinghall Inferior
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Redgrave cum Botesdale with the Rickinghalls
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
RICKINGHALL INFERIOR MILL LANE (SOUTH EAST
TM 07 NW
1/118 Broomhills (formerly
15.11.54 listed as Broom Hills)
Large house, formerly Dower House of Redgrave Hall (demolished). c.1700
probably for Sir J. Holt, extended C19. Red brick with vitrified headers,
plastered timber frame to rear. Clay lump and red brick additions. Steeply
pitched plaintiled roofs with pantiles to rear. 7 bay front range with
original stair bay and 2 service additions to rear. 2 storeys and attic.
Vitrified headers to most of symmetrical facade with red brick bands around
openings: central entrance with glazed doors, lugged architrave with an early
C19 pseudo-Doric pedimented entablature; glazing bar cross casements, part
opening metal frames, gauged brick flat arched heads, first floor central
blind window; offset plinth, plat band, boxed eaves, 3 gabled 2-light dormers.
Internal end stacks with an internal cross axial stack between hall and
parlour to right of centre. Moulded kneelers to coped gable end parapets,
continued plat bands, right end has 2 small attic lights with gauged brick
flat arched heads, left end has 2 small first floor leaded lights with gauged
brick flat arched heads. Original stair wing to rear centre has irregular
fenestration, hipped roof. To rear right is rendered clay lump service wing,
4 bays, 2 storeys, mixed sashes and casements, a half glazed door towards
front on outer elevation, an entrance on inner elevation, 2 ridge stacks. To
rear left projecting beyond end of main range is 2 bay brick kitchen addition,
a lean-to to front angle with an entrance, mixed casements and a tripartite
sash, gable end coped parapets, central ridge stack, a lean-to to rear.
Interior: large through tension bracing in rear wall, parlour has a chamfered
axial binding beam, C18 raised panelling reset from Pond Hall, Botesdale (not
listed) with box cornices, a fireplace with an egg and dart lugged architrave,
flanking cupboards with key blocked round arched heads; stop chamfered cross
axial binding beams, C19 dogleg staircase in original stair bay with stop
chamfered wallplates. Staggered tenoned purlin roof with collars to
principals. (East Anglian Miscellany, 1926, pp.54-56).
Listing NGR: TM0408776410
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings