This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6232 / 51°37'23"N
Longitude: -0.2367 / 0°14'12"W
OS Eastings: 522158
OS Northings: 193075
OS Grid: TQ221930
Mapcode National: GBR 9C.BZM
Mapcode Global: VHGQB.VG6G
Entry Name: Holcombe House
Listing Date: 3 February 1950
Last Amended: 28 September 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199042
Location: Barnet, London, NW7
Electoral Ward/Division: Mill Hill
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Paul Mill Hill
Church of England Diocese: London
5004 THE RIDGEWAY
(south-west side) NW7
TQ 2293 14/11 3.2.50
Villa, c.1775-8 for Sir John Anderson, a City of London merchant and Lord Mayor in 1797, by John Johnson, architect. Brick faced with stucco. Two storeys. Entrance front three bays wide with central entrance defined by semi-circular porch. Rusticated ground floor with semi-circular openings either side of the entrance with a plain panel and flat-arched window set within. Three pairs of fluted pilasters above dividing three flat-arched windows; shallow modillion cornice and balustraded parapet. Garden front: 2-storey plus lower ground floor; 5 bays. Central ground floor window now used as a door. Flat-arched windows throughout, taller on the ground floor. Balustraded parapet broken by 3 flat topped dormers. INTERIOR: Elliptical entrance hall possesses cantilevered staircase with fine wrought iron 'S'scroll balustrade and moulded wooden handrail. There is fine Adamesque plasterwork in the former dining room with Grecian-style stucco figures within almond-shaped frames, and in the library. HISTORY. In 1866 the house and grounds were acquired by Herbert Vaughn, later Archbishop of Westminster, who established a missionary college there. The house was passed over in 1871 to the 'Franciscan Sisters of the Regular Third Order' who provided the corps of staff to run a school for girls. The villa now forms part of the Catholic School of St Mary's Abbey and is surrounded with later associated buildings.
Listing NGR: TQ2215893075
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings