This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5168 / 51°31'0"N
Longitude: -0.0417 / 0°2'30"W
OS Eastings: 535976
OS Northings: 181586
OS Grid: TQ359815
Mapcode National: GBR K4.068
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.74BJ
Plus Code: 9C3XGX85+P8
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Dunstan and All Saints (The Church of the High Seas)
Listing Date: 29 December 1950
Last Amended: 3 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065065
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206262
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E1
County: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: St Dunstan's
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Dunstan Stepney
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3581 STEPNEY HIGH STREET, E1
16/588 Parish Church of St Dunstan and All
Saints (The Church of the High Seas)
Parish church. Kentish ragstone, rubble and flint, with stone dressings and tiled roof An ancient foundation rebuilt C10; C13 chancel with seven-bay C15 nave and aisles, with battlemented parapets, two-light clerestorey windows and renewed three-light windows. C15 west tower, three stages with battlements, pinnacles and angle buttresses. Beacon tower on south side. North and south porches and hexagonal vestry room at north-cast corner added 1871-72 by Newman and Billing.
Interior: nave north and south aisles rebuilt cl500, when chancel arch-removed. Seven-bay arcades of two-centred arches on quatrefoil piers. C13 sedilia in chancel. Vestry room has open timber roof.
Alterations: extensively restored in 1849 by Benjamin Ferrey; in 1872 by Newman and Billing; by Cutts and Cutts in 1899 and again in 1901-2 following a fire, when the nave roof was rebuilt; in 1949 by C Wontner Smith, following war damage, when the flooring was renewed and the cast end reordered.
Fittings: Anglo-Saxon stone relief panel of the Crucifixion, early C11. Relief of the Annunciation, c1400, over north chancel door. Numerous funerary monuments, C16-C19, including recessed tomb chest to Sir Henry Colet, d.1510, in chancel; Dr John Berry, d1689, bust with in aedicule in north aisle; Benjamin Kenton, d.1800, by Westmacott showing relief of the Good Samaritan between Doric columns, in chancel. East window by Hugh Easton, 1949, depicting the Crucifixion above tableau of blitzed Stepney. Sailors' memorial window, also by Easton in north aisle. Organ by Father Willis, from St. Augustine's, Haggerston, installed in north-west aisle, 1971. Clock retains original working by Thwaites, 1804. Stone, reputedly from Carthage, set into south aisle wall with 1663 inscription.
Listing NGR: TQ3597681586
Other nearby listed buildings