This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5216 / 51°31'17"N
Longitude: -0.0757 / 0°4'32"W
OS Eastings: 533603
OS Northings: 182054
OS Grid: TQ336820
Mapcode National: GBR W8.4Q
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.M0VV
Entry Name: The Commercial Public House
Listing Date: 27 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065205
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205913
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E1
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Spitalfields & Banglatown
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Spitalfields
Church of England Diocese: London
COMMERCIAL STREET E1
No 142 (The Commercial
TQ 3382 8/107
Circa 1865. Round ended building occupying an important corner site at the junction
with Wheler Street. White brick with painted stucco dressings. Roof not visible.
3 storeys and panelled frieze with bracketed cornice and blocking course which
rises over name sign with finials. 5 corner windows and 2 end bays with paired
windows on top floor and triple windows on 1st floor. Rusticated pilasters to
end bays. Top floor windows with architraves and bracketed labels and sills,
those of 1st floor round arched with enriched stucco arches and architraves with
masks in medallion keystones. Enriched impost bands with interval lions' heads.
Pub front with Corinthian pilasters. Stucco and cast iron cresting above.
No 142 (The Commercial Public House) and Nos 144 to 146 form a group with the
former Police Station opposite.
Listing NGR: TQ3360382054
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings