This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4323 / 51°25'56"N
Longitude: -0.1829 / 0°10'58"W
OS Eastings: 526408
OS Northings: 171932
OS Grid: TQ264719
Mapcode National: GBR D8.DK4
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.S84B
Plus Code: 9C3XCRJ8+WR
Entry Name: Church of St Mary (Summers Town)
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065538
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207056
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW17
Electoral Ward/Division: Earlsfield
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Summerstown St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
KEBLE STREET SW17
Church of St Mary
TQ 2671 17/1
1903 by Godfrey Pinkerton. The massing is Gothic with gable ends to nave, chancel
and those alternate bays of the aisles which are arranged transeptally. The nave
is fronted by a narthex. The south tower to the chancel, which houses the organ
loft, remains incomplete with a square hipped roof.
The building is of red brick with stone dressings and tiled roofs. The window
tracery and other detailing is non-traditional.
The narthex comprises 3 advanced bays, the centre saucer-domed and segmental on
plan, the outer ones gabled. They flank twin double doors recessed beneath
cambered-arch heads. A stone bandcourse and coping frame a vertical alternation
of stone bands and brick panels across the upper facade. This breaks round the
angles to the parapets of the non-transeptal aisle bays.
The nave gable is pierced by a triplet of lancets, their blind round-arched heads
linked by a stone band. The transeptal aisle-bays have large round-arched windows
and the tower a round-arched door surround.
In the interior the transeptal aisle bays have barrel vaults, the alternate bays
double arches opening to the nave and with granite piers.
The carving, including font and cover, was by Lawrence A Turner, the east window
by Morris and Company 1928, using designs by Burne-Jones.
Listing NGR: TQ2640871932
Other nearby listed buildings