History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gatehouse to Sutton Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7948 / 51°47'41"N

Longitude: -0.6609 / 0°39'39"W

OS Eastings: 492446

OS Northings: 211533

OS Grid: SP924115

Mapcode National: GBR F4N.FQ5

Mapcode Global: VHFRW.H4GX

Entry Name: Gatehouse to Sutton Court

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065696

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355692

Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring

Built-Up Area: Tring

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Tring

Listing Text

TRING CHURCH YARD
SP 9211
(East side)
11/55 Gatehouse to
Sutton Court
-
GV II
Gatehouse to clergy house now Sutton Court (q.v.). 1825, said to have
been designed by Rev. Charles Lacy, incumbent 1819-39, and built at his
expense (Richards(1974)38). E bay removed c.1970. Red brick with stone
and stucco dressings and steep old red tile roof. A tall single-storey
gatehouse range facing S. A convincing Tudor style design with large
gabled 4-centred arched gateway, blank stone shields in panel over,
octagonal crenellated turrets and jamb mouldings unbroken at spriging
of the arch. Plinth and hoodmould to arch continued as strings across
turrets. Raking brick coping to gables front and rear. Square passageway
has moulded rib cross-vault with floral boss at centre and at wall ends
of ribs, and corner corbels. Elaborate wooden traceried double doors in
W wall. Buckley dwg of 1832 (HRO) shows gateway in middle of 3-bays
range, but E bay now gone. W bay remains with projecting W gable
chimney, blank labelled recess on S, 3-light large mullioned and
transomed labelled window on N, and W-end door under tiled lean-to hood
with elaborately cusped brackets. Gabled N side of gateway has simpler
mouldings and stepped brick buttresses with tumbled offsets.


Listing NGR: SP9244611533

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.