This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8156 / 51°48'56"N
Longitude: -0.6542 / 0°39'15"W
OS Eastings: 492864
OS Northings: 213852
OS Grid: SP928138
Mapcode National: GBR F4G.3DS
Mapcode Global: VHFRP.MM0J
Entry Name: Toll House Next Lock 45
Listing Date: 29 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 355697
Location: Tring, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23
Civil Parish: Tring
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Marsworth
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
TRING GRAND UNION CANAL
SP 91 SW
4/60 Toll House
- next Lock 45
Partly in Marsworth Parish, Bucks. Tollhouse, now a house. Early-mid
C19. Built for the Grand Junction Canal Company as the Marsworth Toll
Office at the W end of the Tring summit level of the canal cut in 1799.
Brown brick with buff brick flat gauged arches, and hipped slate roofs.
An L-shaped, 2-storeys and basement building with office formerly in N
range beside the lock-pond and the house-frontage at right angles,
facing E over the Wendover Arm of the canal (1799). Plinth, corbelled
eaves band, plastered eaves soffit, and corbelled heads to chimneys.
Symmetrical 3-windows long E front with recessed sash windows, 6/6
panes, and central door up 3 stone steps. N front has 6-panel flush
beaded door in middle up 3 stone steps with iron bootscraper on landing,
brick triangular bay window to LH with flat metal roof and sash window
in each face, matching sash windows to RH and 3 on 1st floor but that
over door has higher sill and 3/3 panes. Single-storey hip roofed wing
projecting on W with one sash window. N part listed under Marsworth
parish Bucks. as item 6/105 - House to south of Lock 45 on GRAND UNION
Listing NGR: SP9286413852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings