History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary the Virgin and All Saints

A Grade I Listed Building in Nassington, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.553 / 52°33'10"N

Longitude: -0.4332 / 0°25'59"W

OS Eastings: 506329

OS Northings: 296174

OS Grid: TL063961

Mapcode National: GBR FWZ.Z60

Mapcode Global: VHFNB.F3V5

Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin and All Saints

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065930

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422491

Location: Nassington, East Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, PE8

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

Civil Parish: Nassington

Built-Up Area: Nassington

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Nassington St Mary Virgin and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Nassington

Listing Text

NASSINGTON CHURCH STREET
TL0696 (North side)
16/171 Church of St. Mary the Virgin
23/05/67 and All Saints
GV I
Church. C11, C12, C13 and C14, datestone 1640 on spire. Restored C19. Regular
coursed and squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with lead and
Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, west tower and south porch. South
elevation of chancel is a 2-window range of 3-light Perpendicular windows, with
4-centred arch-heads, and hollow reveals. Plank and studded priest's door, to
left of centre, has moulded stone surround and 4-centred arch-head. 2-stage
buttress terminating at parapet level, between windows. Shallow gabled roof with
castellated ashlar parapet. 5-light Perpendicular east window has hollow reveals
and 4-centred arch-head. Tracery restored C19. 2-stage clasping buttresses, at
corners, terminating at parapet level. Castellated ashlar parapet above window.
North elevation of chancel is similar to south elevation, but with a blank bay
to left. Evidence of a blocked priest's door to left of centre. South aisle of 3
bays, with wider bay to left. 3-window range of 2- and 3-light Decorated
windows, with geometrical tracery, and carved label stops. 2-stage gabled
buttresses at corners and between bays. Lean-to roof, with plain ashlar parapet,
and 4 small gargoyles. 3-light east window has hollow reveals and 4-centred
arch-head. Gabled porch breaks forward to left. Outer doorway has 2-centred,
double-chamfered, arch-head with polygonal responds and one order of shafts.
Band of nailhead decoration between chamfers and between responds and shafts.
Hood mould also has nail head decoration. Trefoil head niche above arch. Inner
doorway has 2-centred arch-head with moulded stone surround and fielded panelled
doors. Steeply gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. Bay attached to west
of south aisle abuts the base of the tower. C19 lancet window and studded plank
door, to right, under wood lintel. Steep lean-to roof with Collyweston slates
and ashlar gable parapet. Lancet window in west elevation. North aisle of 4
bays, 6-window range. 2 bays to right each have pairs of 2-light windows with
Y-tracery. 2 bays to left each have 3-light windows with plate tracery. C12
north doorway, to far right, has semi-circular head with roll mouldings, nail
head and floret decoration and 2 orders of shafts. 2-stage ashlar buttresses at
corners and between bays. Lean-to roof with plain ashlar parapet and 3
gargoyles. 3-light east window with intersecting tracery. Bay attached to west
of north aisle is similar to that attached to south aisle. Nave clerestory is
rendered and has a 3-window range to north and 5-window range to south, of
3-light windows with cusping. Shallow gabled roof with castellated ashlar
parapets. West tower of 5 stages. Lower 3 stages of C11 regular coursed
limestone with two, 3-stage, ashlar buttresses to lower 2 stages. West doorway
has 2-centred arch-head with moulded surround. 2 bands of nail head decoration
and 2 orders of shafts. Quatrefoil to centre of second stage and single-light
window to centre of third stage. Upper 2 stages are ashlar. Upper stage is
octagonal with castellated parapet and gargoyles at corners. Pinnacles with
panel tracery and crockets rise across intermediate faces of octagon. 2-light
bell-chamber openings, with transoms, rise through both stages on cardinal faces
of octagon. Set back, octagonal, spire rises from the octagon and is supported
by flying buttresses from the pinnacles. Spire has crockets and 2 tiers of
lucarnes. Lower lucerne, on west face, has datestone 1640. Interior: 4 bay nave
aracade of triple chamfered arches with polygonal piers. Double chamfered
chancel arch is similar with octagonal responds. C12 semi-circular tower arch is
doubled stepped and chamfered, with semi-circular responds and waterleaf
capitals. C11 triangular head door above, now blocked. Doubled chamfered arch
with corbelled respond from south aisle to vestry, at base of tower.
Corresponding space to north of tower forms a separate room. 2 windows in north
wall of north aisle and east window of north aisle, have internal shafts. 2
blocked priest's doors in chancel, one with a moulded stone surround and
4-centred arch-head. Square-head niche to left of altar. Trefoil head piscina to
south wall of south aisle. Original roof structure in nave has castellated cross
beams. Aisle roofs have moulded cross beams. C19 chancel roof. Fragment of
nailhead frieze, to wall of south aisle. Jacobean pulpit with hour glass stand.
Fragment of Perpendicular screen reset in south aisle. Clock mechanism dated
1695 is alongside. Plank door with strap hinges into room to north of tower.
Stained glass: fragments of medieval glass to tracery of south aisle, south
windows. Late C19 lancet window in vestry. Fragment of medieval wall paintings
above chancel arch to north wall of chancel and to north aisle. Monuments:
Griffin King, d.1796, inscribed tablet in south aisle. Saxon cross shaft with
carvings in north aisle. Plain chest tomb with coffin lid in south aisle and
various coffin lid fragments in north and south aisles.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: p309; RCHM: An Inventory of
Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p120; C.A. Markham: Stone
Crosses in Northamptonshire: p83)


Listing NGR: TL0633096176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.