This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5205 / 51°31'13"N
Longitude: -0.1753 / 0°10'30"W
OS Eastings: 526698
OS Northings: 181748
OS Grid: TQ266817
Mapcode National: GBR 49.V4
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.X16R
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065972
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422571
Location: Westminster, London, W2
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Little Venice
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Paddington Green
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2682 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER PADDINGTON GREEN, W2
41/1 (west side)
25.9.51 Church of St Mary.
Church 1788-91 by John Plawwith C19 alterations and restoration of 1972 by
Raymond Erith. Yellow-brown brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, lead roof
to cupola. Greek cross plan, the central square surmounted by cupola with lower,
narrower arms. Principal entrance to south arm of cross treated as Doric portico
with attached columns distyle in antis with pediment to gable end. Flight of
four steps to panelled double-leaf doors in architrave with hood on consoles.
Bowed tetrastyle Tuscan porch to west cross arm with thermal window above.
Venetian window in round-arched recess to east side. To north side a
round-arched recess contains a thermal window with a 4-light pilastered window in
segmental surround below. Pediments to gable ends. Return walls have niches and
square blind panels above. To central block, two levels of small-paned windows
with leaded lights under gauged brick arches. Ashlar frieze and cornice. Hipped
roof. Octagonal cupola with paired columns to angles. Interior: galleries on
three sides supported on columns. Segmental vaults and shallow dome. Original
font, pulpit, altar and altar rail.
Listing NGR: TQ2669881748
Other nearby listed buildings