History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Morwick Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Barwick in Elmet and Scholes, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.8316 / 53°49'53"N

Longitude: -1.4384 / 1°26'18"W

OS Eastings: 437058

OS Northings: 437404

OS Grid: SE370374

Mapcode National: GBR LSD4.D7

Mapcode Global: WHDBC.WY7J

Entry Name: Morwick Hall

Listing Date: 22 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1065993

English Heritage Legacy ID: 422541

Location: Barwick in Elmet and Scholes, Leeds, LS15

County: Leeds

Civil Parish: Barwick in Elmet and Scholes

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Scholes

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Garforth

Listing Text

BARWICK IN ELMET AND SCHOLES YORK ROAD
SE33NE LS15 (south side, off),
SE3737 Whinmoor

9/38 Morwick Hall

II

House, now offices. Mid-late C18 for Edward Gray (Lord Mayor of Leeds 1749
and 1768) with late C19 or early C20 extension in keeping. Punch-dressed
stone to sides, rear and later extension, stone slate roofs. 5 bays with
added single-storey front range and 10-bay extension to left; 3 left-hand
bays, 2 storeys, rest 3 storeys. Main House: symmetrical facade, rusticated
quoins, raised floor bands. Added ground-floor bay: rusticated quoins; central
projecting porch has open pediment on large consoles, doorway with monolithic
jambs and glazed fanlight. To either side 2 bays of windows with raised plain
stone surrounds. Above, to each floor, windows with plain stone surrounds and
projecting sills, carried over central 3 bays, pedimented gable with consoles.
In the tympanum blind plaque in raised architrave. Addition has continuous
matching band and windows all with 12-pane sashes with smaller 6-pane sashes
to 2nd floor. Two coupled ridge stacks to centre of original house, two ridge
stacks to extension. Rear: original house: 3 wide bays with central hooded
doorway over which is tall arched stairwindow. Windows either side have stone
lintels and projecting sills.

Interior: largely C19. Stairhall has 4 doorways leading off with architraves
and carved doorheads decorated with shell motif and cherub supporting a cartouche
with the Grey coat of arms, 6-panel doors. A segmental archway with pilasters
leads through to dog-leg open-string cantilevered staircase with fluted mahogany
newels and ramped handrail and 2 slender turned balusters to each riser which
has bracketed tread ends, dado rail and simple plaster cornice and circular boss
over stairwell.


Listing NGR: SE3705837404

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.