History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

11, Hertford Street W1

A Grade II* Listed Building in City of Westminster, Westminster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5056 / 51°30'20"N

Longitude: -0.148 / 0°8'52"W

OS Eastings: 528630

OS Northings: 180146

OS Grid: TQ286801

Mapcode National: GBR BG.YG

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.DF34

Plus Code: 9C3XGV42+6Q

Entry Name: 11, Hertford Street W1

Listing Date: 1 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066653

English Heritage Legacy ID: 210162

Location: Westminster, London, W1J

County: Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: West End

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St George, Hanover Square

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in


14.1.70 No 11
Terraced town house. c.1770-71 as part of the development of the south
side of Hertford Street by the elder Henry Holland (builder, of Fulham)
with his son, in partnership with John Eldridge - interior almost
certainly by the plasterer Francis Engleheart as Holland's lessee.
Brown brick, rusticated stucco ground floor, slate roof. 3 storeys
and attic storey (probably added early C19) with dormered mansard, on
basement. 3 windows wide. Entrance to left with panelled door and side
lights under segmental fanlight. Recessed sashes, no glazing bars, under
flat gauged arches, the stucco rustication struck to arches of ground
floor windows and doorway. Moulded stone cornice over 2nd floor and attic
parapet with coping. Cast iron balcony across 1st floor added early to
mid C19. Cast iron area railings. Interior retains fine original decoration
to principal reception rooms, despite alterations to rear and to hall with
the mid to later C19 stone staircase with cast iron balustrade; on the
ground floor the hall retains good neo-classical plasterwork frieze and
similar fine plasterwork ceiling to front room with frieze and cornice, all
no doubt by Engleheart; the 1st floor salon or drawing room remains
virtually unaltered with fine ornate plasterwork ceiling by Engleheart,
decorated window frames and shutters, enriched head to doorway and fine
stone chimney piece of c.1770; the top of the stairwell retains original
plasterwork frieze, etc. The house was the residence of the 4th Earl of
Sandwich (notoriously 1st Lord of the Admiralty under Lord North) from
1782 to his death in 1792.

Listing NGR: TQ2863080146

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.