This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5149 / 51°30'53"N
Longitude: -0.1313 / 0°7'52"W
OS Eastings: 529764
OS Northings: 181213
OS Grid: TQ297812
Mapcode National: GBR GC.P3
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.N5YZ
Entry Name: House of St Barnabas
Listing Date: 24 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066753
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209918
Location: Westminster, London, W1D
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: West End
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2981 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREEK STREET, W1
No. 1 (House of St.
Corner terrace house with Soho Square. c.1744-46 by Joseph Pearce, the interior
fitted out with very fine plasterwork etc. for Richard Beckford, brother of the
Alderman in 1754. Stock brick, slate roof. Plain rather old fashioned elevations in
keeping with Soho Square. 3 storeys, basement and dormered mansard. 5 windows wide
and 4 window return to Soho Square. Entrance in 2nd bay from right has stone
architrave with consoles carrying cornice. Recessed glazing bar sashes in stucco
reveals under flat gauged arches, blind in chimney breast bay and to left on 2nd
floor to Greek Street. Brick plat bands and sill bands, the 1st floor sill band of
stone, brick parapet with coping. Wrought iron urn finialed area railings and stone
obelisks flanking the steps to doorway. The interior finished in carved wood and
moulded plaster is one of the best surviving examples in London of mid C18 Rococo
decoration with pedimented ornamental chimneypieces, carved pedimented doorcases,
stone staircase with wrought iron openwork balusters and plasterwork panels to 1st
floor level of compartment, etc. ceilings, cornices etc. A chapel was added in the
former stable yard and to Manette Street for the House of Charity by Joseph Clarke in
1862, stone built in a bold c.1300 Burges related style of Gothic, 2 bays with an
east apse and pairs of apsed chapels off each side of the lofty narrow nave; marble
facings and mosaic work; large rose window in west wall.
Survey of London; Vol. XXXIII.
Listing NGR: TQ2976481213
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings