This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5128 / 51°30'46"N
Longitude: -0.1126 / 0°6'45"W
OS Eastings: 531070
OS Northings: 181011
OS Grid: TQ310810
Mapcode National: GBR LC.WV
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.07BL
Entry Name: 20, Devereux Court
Listing Date: 14 January 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066888
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209479
Location: Westminster, London, WC2R
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: St James's
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary le Strand with St Clement Danes
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/08/2017
TQ 3181 SW
CITY OF WESTMINSTER
DEVEREUX COURT, WC2
(Formerly listed as No. 20: The Devereux Public House)
End of terrace former public house. c.1676; a Barbon development, originally the Grecian Coffee House, remodelled as a pub in 1843.
Stucco faced. Three storeys.Six windows wide with three-window south return. Rusticated ground floor with two double panelled and glazed doors flanking renewed Georgian style windows. Recessed glazing bar sashes to upper floors. Plat band over ground floor. Moulded sill course with projecting sills to second floor. Parapet finished off with cornice and blocking course. Plaque inscribed "This is Devereux Court, 1676" and on the corner a bust of Robert Devereux, Earl of Essex above plaque inscribed "Eldon Chambers AD 1844". The Grecian Coffee House is referred to in the "Tatler" of 1709 as a favoured haunt of members of the Royal Society. Devereux Court was one of Barbon's speculations.
Listing NGR: TQ3107181014
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings