This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5139 / 51°30'49"N
Longitude: -0.163 / 0°9'46"W
OS Eastings: 527570
OS Northings: 181036
OS Grid: TQ275810
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.LH
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.466T
Plus Code: 9C3XGR7P+GR
Entry Name: 47, Connaught Square W2
Listing Date: 9 January 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066978
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209317
Location: Westminster, London, W2
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Evan Hyde Park Crescent
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2781 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CONNAUGHT SQUARE, W2
9.1.70 No. 47
Terrace house on south east corner of square and Stanhope Place.
c.1828-30, probably by George Gutch. Brown brick with channelled stucco
ground floor, concealed slate roof. 4 storeys and basement. 2 windows
wide to Stanhope Place and 5-window north front to square and Seymour
Street. Entrance in north front with semicircular arched doorway with
inset Greek Doric columns, panelled door and fanlight. Recessed glazing
bar sashes, some blind to north front, under flat gauged red brick arches
to upper floors. Stucco plat band over ground floor and at 3rd floor
level, crowning cornice and blocking course. Gothic patterned cast iron
balcony to 1st floor. Cast iron, spear head, urn finialed area railings.
Connaught Square is the earliest part of the development of Tyburnia,
planned in 1827 by S.P. Cockerell for the Bishop of London's Estate, but
laid out to modified plan by Cockerell's successor George Gutch.
"The History of Tyburnia"; G. Toplis; Country Life, 15, 22 Nov. 1973.
Listing NGR: TQ2757081036
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings