This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3892 / 52°23'21"N
Longitude: -0.9555 / 0°57'19"W
OS Eastings: 471177
OS Northings: 277309
OS Grid: SP711773
Mapcode National: GBR BTF.57N
Mapcode Global: VHDRC.D66S
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067001
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360294
Location: Haselbech, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Haselbech
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Haselbech St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
HASELBECH COTTESBROOKE ROAD
SP77NW (East side)
6/41 Church of St. Michael
Church. C13 and C14. North chapel 1872 by A. Salvin. Chancel restored by W.
Slater 1859-60 and Butler 1881. Regular coursed lias, limestone and lias ashlar
with slate, lead and aluminium roofs. Aisled nave chancel and west tower.
Chancel of ashlar has one 2-light window with trefoiled tracery in French Gothic
style. Similar 3-light east window. Gabled roof with ashlar cornice, gable
parapets and finial. South vestry projection in similar style has 3-light south
window with Gothic decoration above. Figure of St. Michael above south east
entrance has similar decoration. North chapel, rusticated lias with ashlar
dressings; 3-light north window and 2 east lancets. Shallow gabled roof with
parapet and finial. South aisle of 2-window range of 3-light square headed
windows, 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. C14,
gabled porch to left has double chamfered arch; ashlar gable parapets and
finial. North aisle of 2-window range of 2-light square headed windows with door
to right and 2-light west window. Lean-to roof with ashlar gable parapets. Nave
clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light square headed Perpendicular windows;
shallow pitched roof with ashlar parapet. West tower, Perpendicular of 4 stages:
base of regular coursed lias; upper part of limestone ashlar. West door has
2-light window above. Fourth stage has pairs of 2-light bell chamber openings
with an ogee super arch to each face. Quatrefoil frieze above with castellated
parapet and pinnacle stumps. Interior: Chancel, blank arcading to left and right
of altar, French Gothic decoration around the windows and to roof corbels. 3-bay
nave arcade of double chamfered pointed arches with quatrefoil piers that to
north is C13 and to south C14. Double chamfered tower arch. C19 roofs. Stained
glass: 3 windows in north chapel painted by Viscountess Hilton c.1872. East
window by Alan Younger 1966. Chancel screen. Wrought iron C18 probably reset.
Tower screen; continental Gothic dated 1842. Pulpit: Jacobean with decorated
panels; panelled back and tester. Monuments: North aisle, George Ashby died
1802; marble tablet by Benjamin Button. Similar tablet to William Wykes died
1747. Several other C19 tablets. South aisle, large tablet to Pell family 1907
with ironwork incorporating spiders webb. Painted tablet of St. George to right
commemorates Charles Bower Ismay. 3 bays of pews east of nave probably C15. Font
probably C13 on C19 base.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.251).
Listing NGR: SP7117777309
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings