This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4095 / 52°24'34"N
Longitude: -0.919 / 0°55'8"W
OS Eastings: 473631
OS Northings: 279602
OS Grid: SP736796
Mapcode National: GBR BT3.VWX
Mapcode Global: VHDR6.1P1R
Plus Code: 9C4XC35J+QC
Entry Name: Kelmarsh Hall
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067012
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360317
ID on this website: 101067012
Location: Kelmarsh, West Northamptonshire, NN6
County: West Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Kelmarsh
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Kelmarsh St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/05/2020
HARBOROUGH ROAD (West side)
Country House. c.1727-32. By James Gibbs for William Hanbury, altered 1956 by Sir Albert Richardson. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Double pile plan with linked pavilions. Main facade: Centre of two storeys with basement and attic, seven window range, centre three bays breaking forward with rectangular pediment over. Wide flight of steps up to central double doors under fanlight with glazing bars in geometrical pattern. Ashlar doorcase has attached fluted Corinthian columns supporting a plain entablature with segmental pediment over. Tall sash windows at first floor reducing at first floor; all with glazing bars and moulded stone architraves. Those at ground floor have eared architraves with alternate segmental and triangular pediments over. Continuous ashlar cornice with a brick parapet above flanking bays. The centre sections of the parapets are replaced with balustrading. Mansard roof has dormers behind the parapet and brick stacks at the ridge. The centre is linked to the flanking pavilions by single-storey quadrants having central doors with pediments over flanked by sash windows with gauged brick heads. Glazing bars to the right pavilion ground floor right are original C18. Ashlar pilasters between each, opening each surmounted by a ball finial with a plain parapet and cornice below. The pavilions are of two storeys with attic. Each of five window range. The central entrances have moulded stone architraves with pediments over. Sash windows, reducing at first floor have glazing bars and gauged brick heads. Ashlar cornices with brick parapets over. Gambrel roofs; the right pavilion having brick stacks at the ridge. The inside return elevations of the pavilions are similar. Garden facade similar of seven window range with centre three bays breaking forward with open rectangular pediment over. Tall sashes with glazing bars at ground floor, reducing at first floor with alternate segmental and triangular pediments over. The centre sash has a broad flight of stone steps. There is an armorial crest in the centre of the pediment. Single storey, four bay extension to left is C19 ballroom. End three bays breaking forward; all in a similar style to the main house. Facade to right reconstructed in 1956 by Sir Albert Richardson to James Gibbs' original design; when Victorian extensions removed. Stabling and walls attached to rear of left pavilion. Interior: Entrance hall, centre of main front, double height, has three bay arcade on rear wall with three sash windows to first floor corridor above. Panelled plaster work to ceiling and restrained swags to walls, reputedly by James Wyatt. Two black imitation marble bolection moulded fire surrounds. Dining Room to right of entrance has semi-circular recess at end with Adam style ceiling decoration. Chinese Room to left of entrance has C18 surround. Drawing Room, centre of west front, double height. Plaster roundels, in inner section and plaster frieze with cherubs; probably by James Wyatt. Moulded wood doorcases. The Yellow Room and the Library to right and left of the Drawing Room C18 style fireplaces and bookcases probably installed during early C20 remodelling. Staircase between the Chinese Room and Library has half landing and fine C18 wrought iron balustrade in lyre shaped units. The walls and ceiling have fine plaster work panel decoration. The Ballroom to the right of the Yellow Room is C19 was probably remodelled early C20. Several first-floor rooms have C18 marble fire surrounds.
Listing NGR: SP7363179602
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings