This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4256 / 52°25'32"N
Longitude: -0.8915 / 0°53'29"W
OS Eastings: 475473
OS Northings: 281421
OS Grid: SP754814
Mapcode National: GBR BSY.X0R
Mapcode Global: VHDR6.H9KD
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067030
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360258
Location: Arthingworth, Daventry, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: Arthingworth
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Arthingworth St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
4/5 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C12, C14 and C19. Squared coursed and ashlar limestone with slate roof.
Aisled nave and chancel and west tower. Chancel is a C19 reconstruction with one
2-light window to south and 2 similar to north with reticulated tracery. 3-light
east window has roundel with cusping. Chancel has C15 aisle to south of
2-window range, one blocked, the others of 3 lights with 4-centred head, similar
east aisle under lean-to roof with ashlar moulded parapets. South aisle to nave
is mainly C19 reconstruction of three 2-light windows with square heads. Lean-to
roof. C19 gabled porch between windows 1 and 2 from left. North elevation of
nave of 2-window range has one 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery to left
and one C19 2-light window to right. 3 large 3-stage buttresses between each
window. 4 C19 small quatrefoil windows at clerestory level. West tower of ashlar
is of 4 stages with set back buttresses. West door has 3-light Perpendicular
window above. Fourth stage has pair of 2-light bell chamber openings, with
rounded heads both under one large ogee arch. The openings have transoms with
cusping below. Frieze of cusped lozenges above. Castellated parapet with
truncated square pinnacles at corners. Interior. Chancel has 2-bay arcade of
double chamfered arches with octagonal pier and corbelled brackets. C19 chancel
arch with foliated corbelled brackets. Double chamfered arch to south chancel
aisle. 3-bay nave arcade of late C12 single chamfered pointed arches with one
original circular pier to east with scolloped capital and square abacus. Other
pier is probably C19 copy. Double chamfered tower arch has been blocked. C19
roof with large foliated stone corbels. C19 stained glass to east window. C19
circular font on marble column. C19 painted reredos behind altar. Monument in
south chancel aisle to Mrs. Jekyll died 1775. White and grey marble oval
medallion on obelisk, has angel with quill and garlands, signed by Van Gelder.
Tablet to James Scott died 1753, to right, has broken pediment over. Plain
tablet to Rokeby Scott died 1767 to left.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.89).
Listing NGR: SP7547381421
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings