This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4274 / 52°25'38"N
Longitude: -0.9516 / 0°57'5"W
OS Eastings: 471384
OS Northings: 281565
OS Grid: SP713815
Mapcode National: GBR BSW.S94
Mapcode Global: VHDR5.G79Z
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067033
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360265
Location: Clipston, Daventry, Northamptonshire, LE16
Civil Parish: Clipston
Built-Up Area: Clipston
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Clipston All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CLIPSTON CHURCH LANE
SP7081 (North side)
15/12 Church of All Saints
Church. Early C13, restored 1884-85. Regular lias and limestone with ashlar
dressings and lead and tiled roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel
of one-window range of 2-light square-headed windows. C19 three-light east
window with cusped roundels in the tracery. Gabled roof has C20 plain tiles.
South aisle and vestry of 4-window range with tall 3-light windows. Those at
ends have square heads, that to right has Perpendicular tracery; the others have
4-centred and segmental heads. 3-light east and west windows. Priest door with
C12 semi-circular arch head to right. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets.
Porch between windows one and 2 from left has C14 chamfered arch and gabled roof
with ashlar parapets and finial. North aisle restored C19 of 2-window range of
2-light windows; one with square head the other pointed. East and west windows
similar of 2-lights. Octagonal chimney to north-east corner. Lean-to roof. C20
octagonal extension to north of north aisle. Nave clerestorey c.1470 of 3-window
range of 2-light windows with 4-centred heads. West tower restored C19 of 3
stages. 2-light ogee headed window in west face of first stage. 2-light bell
chamber openings to each face of third stage. 3 stage clasping buttresses. C19
polygonal stair turret to first and second stage on north side. Broach spire,
ashlar limestone with 2 stages of lucarnes. Interior: C19 double chamfered
chancel arch. 3-bay nave arcade of early C13 double chamfered pointed arches,
with circular piers, circular abaci and keeled responds. C13 triple chamfered
tower arch. Two C14 tomb recesses to north aisle and one to south. C19 roofs.
Stained glass to 3 chancel windows. Monuments: North wall of chancel, George
Buswell died 1632: frontal demi-figure with hands on upright book flanked by
pilasters with plain entablature, dentilled cornice and broken pediment over.
John Buswell died 1659 to left: white marble bust in oval wreathed niche with
flanking pilasters and broken pediment over. Sir George Buswell died 1668:
inscribed marble tablet with cherubs at base with broken pediment over with bust
in the centre. East wall of south aisle, Eusebius Buswell died 1730: marble
tablet with broken pediment over has heraldic device in centre. South wall of
south aisle, Hester Buswell died 1706: urn with 2 standing puttii.North aisle
east wall, Elizabeth Busweil died 1636: tombchest with frieze of macabre
symbols. Inscribed brass plate on top. Various other C18 and C19 inscribed
tablets in nave chancel and aisles. Datestone F.T. 1588 above chancel arch.
Fonts: Circular column probably C12; also C19 font. Screens to south chapel and
to west tower, fine Elizabethan with open low arches and carved panelling.
Parish chest in vestry.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.154).
Listing NGR: SP7138481565
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings