This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2752 / 52°16'30"N
Longitude: -0.9742 / 0°58'27"W
OS Eastings: 470084
OS Northings: 264612
OS Grid: SP700646
Mapcode National: GBR BVS.6J4
Mapcode Global: VHDRY.229N
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067076
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360158
Location: Harlestone, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Harlestone
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Harlestone St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SP7064 HARLESTONE LOWER HARLESTONE
23/169 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C14, restored in 1853 by Sir G.G. Scott. Lias ashlar with lead and
plain tiled roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel, south
elevation of 3-window range with two 2-light square headed windows; tall lancet
to left with small single-light window below. 5-light east window dates from
1853 restoration. North elevation similar. South door to chancel has moulded
shafts and stops to hood mould. Steep gabled roof, plain tiled with ashlar
gable parapets, kneelers and finial. South aisle: 3-window range of 3-light
C14 ogee headed windows with reticulated tracery, similar 2- and 3-light east
and west windows. Lean-to lead roof with ashlar parapets. C14 gabled porch
between windows 1 and 2 from left has double chamfered entrance with niche
above. C19 ribbed door. North aisle similar. Nave clerestory has four
2-light Perpendicular windows with 4-centred heads. Shallow gabled roof with
ashlar parapets and finial. West tower of 2 stages with intermediate string
courses. Single lancets in first stage. Double lancet bell openings in each
face of second stage. Plain parapet above on corbel table with plain
cylindrical pinnacles at corners. Interior: Chamfered chancel arch; sedilia
on north wall with crocketted gables; piscina in south-east angle on corbel.
Nave arcade of 2 bays with chamfered arches on octagonal piers with concave
sides. Crypt under chancel of 2 bays with chamfered rib vault. Stained glass,
in east window by Burlison and Grylls 1897. Font, circular with 4 heads
projecting from base, probably C13. Pulpit, incorporates C16 Flemish panels.
Communion rail is Jacobean with turned balusters. Monuments: Portrait bust of
man with flowing hair remains of memorial to Robert Andrew died 1667. Tablet
to Sir Salathiel Lovell, died 1713 by Edward Stanton. Many other marble
(Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.246).
Listing NGR: SP7008464612
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings