This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.364 / 50°21'50"N
Longitude: -4.1375 / 4°8'15"W
OS Eastings: 248067
OS Northings: 53752
OS Grid: SX480537
Mapcode National: GBR RC3.LR
Mapcode Global: FRA 2862.RWK
Entry Name: Royal Citadel Church of St Catherine
Listing Date: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067141
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473141
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX4853NW THE BARBICAN
740-1/67/869 Royal Citadel: Church of St
Church (Royal Chapel) at fort. 1667-1688 on site of C14
chapel, enlarged and partly rebuilt in 1845, the E wall of the
chancel rebuilt following damage in World War II and the
chancel renovated. Plymouth limestone rubble and Plymouth
limestone brought to course for the 1845 parts; dry slate
roofs with coped gables.
STYLE: Early Gothic style detail.
PLAN: cruciform plan with the main roof running north-south
plus porches in the NW and SW angles and an organ loft in the
SE angle; galleries to each arm of the cross except the
EXTERIOR: pointed arched windows, the larger windows lighting
the sides of the nave, chancel and transepts with Y tracery
and there are triple lancets to light the gallery at the N and
S ends. Principal N doorway has a moulded round arch and a
square hoodmould; other doorways have pointed arches; original
INTERIOR: has its 1845 plastered ceiling divided into panels
with moulded ribs and cornices, except for the chancel ceiling
which has painted decoration; original galleries with
wrought-iron balustrades over moulded entablature carried on
quatrefoil-section cast-iron paired stanchions.
FITTINGS: painted stone octagonal font with moulded base and
cornices and blind Gothic arcading; possibly original loose
pews with railed backs to galleries. Other fittings are late
C19 including octagonal pulpit with blind Gothic tracery and
pews with shaped ends.
MONUMENTS: many monuments to the soldiers of the fort
including 2 Tudor Gothic style marble monuments flanking the E
end to N and S walls to Patrick Doull Calder, Royal Engineers,
died 1857 aged 70, and to William Cuthbert Elphinstone
Holloway C B, Colonel Commanding Royal Engineer W Dist, died
in the Citadel, 4th September 1850, who served in the
Peninsular campaigns of 1810, 1811 and 1812.
One of the buildings associated with this outstanding C17
fort, designed by Sir Bernard de Gomme.
Listing NGR: SX4806753752
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings