This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3952 / 53°23'42"N
Longitude: -2.9396 / 2°56'22"W
OS Eastings: 337614
OS Northings: 389122
OS Grid: SJ376891
Mapcode National: GBR 7GS.2W
Mapcode Global: WH877.TXCJ
Entry Name: Entrance Lodges, Gates Screen and Boundary Walls at Toxteth Park Cemetery
Listing Date: 7 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067418
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477109
Location: Liverpool, L15
Electoral Ward/Division: Picton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Liverpool
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside
Church of England Parish: Toxteth St Bede with St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Liverpool
SJ38NE LIVERPOOL SMITHDOWN ROAD
392/7/10118 Nos. 122 and 124, Entrance
Lodges,gates,screen and boundary
walls Toxteth Park Cemetery
Entrance lodges, gates, screen and attached boundary walls at municipal cemetery. 1856, by TD Barry, with mid and late C20 alterations. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs, those to the east lodge fishscale patterned. Various prominent external side wall and gable stacks, with clustered square flues set diagonally under heavy copings. Eclectic Gothic Revival style. Lodges have plinths, quoins and coped gables. Windows are various Gothic types, those to the main fronts with stone mullions and transoms.
Larger east lodge , double range plan, has 2 facing gables, that to the right slightly projecting. Right gable has a square bay window with a pointed arched central light. Above, a traceried panel, and a canted stone oriel window with hipped stone slate roof. Left gable has plainer windows, different on each floor. Both gables have triangular lights in the peak. Right return, facing the entrance, has a hipped 2-storey projection to right, with chamfered pointed arched door. To right, an external stack, flanked by single light windows. Left return has a 3-light window with traceried surround, and above, a through-eaves dormer with a 2-light pointed arched window. Rear elevation has a flat roofed single storey projection to left, with a canted stone bay window. Above, a hipped roof with a through-eaves dormer. To right, a single window. Projecting right gable has a square bay window.
INTERIOR: Ground floor office has coved ceiling. Glazed wooden screens and half-glazed doors, some lettered, winder stair with stick balusters, all C19.
Screen has a central chamfered pointed arched opening with wrought iron grille, set in a shouldered and buttressed coped gable. On each side, a pair of traceried wrought iron gates. Beyond, on each side, an enriched cross-gabled pier carrying a matching side gate.
Smaller and simpler west lodge has a similar plan. Windows and doors boarded at time of survey, retain original mullions and mainly original glazing. Facing gables have single windows on each floor. To right, a single storey service building with flat roof and large doorway flanked by single windows. Left return, facing the entrance, has a hipped projection, L-plan, with chamfered pointed doorway to right, and 3-light graduated window to left. At the rear, projecting gable to right has a window to each floor. Attached to the west side, a coped yard wall and attached outbuildings.
INTERIOR: Restored 1998-99. Original stairs with renewed and more elaborate balusters, several imported fireplaces, some original doors, and coved ceiling to principal room.
On each side of the lodges, attached boundary walls, approx. 200m to east and 300m to west. Red brick with ashlar coping. Stepped coping to alternate piers. Late C20 railing. Splayed east corner has a wide opening with cross-gabled piers, now blocked. East wall incorporates a triangular cast-iron half-column, dated 1865, forming a boundary mark.
Listing NGR: SJ3761489122
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings