This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1287 / 51°7'43"N
Longitude: 0.206 / 0°12'21"E
OS Eastings: 554455
OS Northings: 138919
OS Grid: TQ544389
Mapcode National: GBR MPW.4W8
Mapcode Global: VHHQC.JW7L
Entry Name: Broomlands Including Retaining Wall to the Terrace to the South
Listing Date: 24 August 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 438602
Location: Speldhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Speldhurst
Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Langton Green All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 53 NW SPELDHURST BROOM LANE
Broomlands including retaining
7/459 wall to the terrace to the
House. Probably 1840s, perhaps a remodelling of an earlier house, with
additions of 1908 (information from the owner), in matching materials. Said
to have been built as a dower house to Holmewood (q.v.). Rusticated local
sandstone ashlar; slate roof with lead rolls; stacks with stone shafts;
service stacks with rendered shafts. Terrace wall rock-faced sandstone.
Plan: Roofed on an east west axis. South facing garden elevation, entrance
on the north side to the east. The main block has 2 principal rooms facing
south, one projecting to the south in a canted bay. Third principal room in a
one-room plan north wing at right angles, the wing canted at the north end.
Original service block to the north west, extended in 1908. Axial corridor on
the north side of the main block, containing the stair.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Deep eaves with a moulded eaves cornice in paired
brackets. Asymmetrical 2:3:1:2-bay entrance (north) elevation, the canted end
of the wing with 3 windows. Projecting flat-roofed stone porch at the extreme
left, probably of 1908, with a moulded cornice and panelled front door.
Platband at first floor sill level across the 2 left hand bays and canted
wing. 5 first floor left hand windows and the ground floor windows to the
wing 8-pane C19 sashes with margin panes. The right hand bay has a first
floor 24-pane sash and a 20-pane ground floor sash. One-light fixed window
with margin panes to the right of the porch. A lower-roofed block at the
right end is probably the original service wing. The garden (south) elevation
is 5:1:3:2 bays, the 5 bays in the 1908 service wing; canted bay with 3
windows towards the left of the main block; 1989 conservatory on stone
footings with small-pane windows with margin glazing across the front to right
of the bay. Various C19 sash windows: 8-pane with margin glazing to the bay;
12-pane to the right of the bay; 16-pane to the left where there is no
platband. The 1908 wing is 5-windows glazed with samll-pane sashes. The
terrace wall to the south has curved coping stones.
Interior: Some early c19 plaster cornices and joinery, including shutters,
survive. The fireplaces all have replaced chimney-pieces or have been
blocked. Open string stair with slender turned balusters the newel posts
Listing NGR: TQ5445538919
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings