This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1087 / 51°6'31"N
Longitude: 0.561 / 0°33'39"E
OS Eastings: 579370
OS Northings: 137494
OS Grid: TQ793374
Mapcode National: GBR PT6.JMY
Mapcode Global: VHJN6.NDXF
Entry Name: Hazelhurst Cottage lilac Cottage
Listing Date: 19 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 169110
Location: Cranbrook, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN17
District: Tunbridge Wells
Civil Parish: Cranbrook & Sissinghurst
Built-Up Area: Sissinghurst
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
CRANBROOK THE STREET, (SOUTH
TQ 7837-7937 SIDE), SISSINGHURST
8/259 Lilac Cottage and
- Hazelhurst Cottage
Hall-house, later 2 cottages and butcher's shop, now 2 cottages. C16 with mid
C19 front block. Timber-framed and clad in red brick to rear. Half-timbered
front block with red and blue brick chequer under building and weather-boarded
first floor. Plain tiled roofs. Front block: Two storeys with hipped roof and
2 tall brick ridge stacks. Irregular 3-window first floor, glazing bar sashes.
Irregular fenestrationon ground floor of C19 shop-window to left, C19 shallow
octagonal bay in centre and early C20 tiled butcher's shop window at right with
decorative tiles of bull's head to right. Panelled door with margin glazed
transom light over to left, and half-glazed door to left of centre, both with
flat hoods on brackets over. Half-glazed door inset in shop front to right.
Rear block: One and a half storeys with deep catslide roof. Plain tiled roof
with gablet to left, half-hipped to right with half-hipped cross wing to right
and central gabled dormer. Tall brick ridge stack off-centre to right.
Interior: Some evidence of timber-framing on first floor of centre. Later
inserted floor with chamfered floor beams. Tiled butcher's shop with decorative
landscape patterns and pictures of animals, clock set into wall and light-fitting
above, all circa 1930.
Listing NGR: TQ7937037494
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings