This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9598 / 52°57'35"N
Longitude: -1.1768 / 1°10'36"W
OS Eastings: 455392
OS Northings: 340582
OS Grid: SK553405
Mapcode National: GBR LHM.84
Mapcode Global: WHDGR.WVSV
Entry Name: Boulevard Works
Listing Date: 7 October 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067841
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489827
Location: Nottingham, NG7
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Radford and Park
Built-Up Area: Nottingham
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: All Souls and Saint Peter, Radford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
646-1/0/10037 RADFORD BOULEVARD
10-OCT-02 Boulevard Works
Former tenement lace and lace curtain factory and attached railings.
1883, for G H Perry & Sons. Addition dated 1896. Red brick, with ashlar, moulded brick and blue brick dressings and slate roofs, mansard at south end.
EXTERIOR: 1883 range has polychrome bands and moulded brick modillion eaves.
Windows are cast iron glazing bar casements with moulded brick segment arched heads. 5 storeys plus basement and attic; 39 x 3 windows. Single range, parallel to Radford Boulevard, between Hartley Road and Norwood Road.
Rounded corner entrance bay has shaped gable containing clock in Renaissance Revival surround. The clock is said to have been removed from Nottingham Guildhall. Moulded segment arched ashlar doorcase with panelled double doors, blind fanlight and keystone. Above, a single window on each floor.
Front to Radford Boulevard has central projecting staircase tower with flat-headed mullioned windows and shaped gable. Segment arched door with cast iron area railing on ashlar plinth.
1896 range has similar ornament, with hipped roof at south end. Windows are taller cast iron glazing bar casements with flat heads to basement and first floor. 2 storeys plus basement, 33 windows. Entrance front, to Hartley Road, has painted ashlar doorcase with round hood on brackets and round arched doorway with columns. Central first floor window, flanked by pilasters, under a shaped gable with datestone. On each side, 2 windows. To left, a slightly recessed single bay. Forster Street front has a central 3 bays part with pilasters between bays on the upper floors, and coped gable with finials.
INTERIOR: 1883 range of conventional constructional form with cast iron columns and wooden cross beams.
Sources: M Palmer, Industrial Landscapes of the East Midlands, p 144.
S Mason (in) Transactions of the Thoroton Society, 1981, p 106.
S Mason, Nottingham Lace, p 234.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings