This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4839 / 53°29'2"N
Longitude: -2.0973 / 2°5'50"W
OS Eastings: 393640
OS Northings: 398581
OS Grid: SJ936985
Mapcode National: GBR FXS4.QV
Mapcode Global: WHB9J.RPHJ
Entry Name: Cavendish Mill
Listing Date: 24 September 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067948
English Heritage Legacy ID: 212750
Location: Tameside, OL6
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter's
Built-Up Area: Ashton-under-Lyne
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Ashton-under-Lyne The Good Shepherd
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
The following building shall be added:
ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE CAVENDISH STREET
SJ 99 NW
4/101 Cavendish Mill
Cotton spinning mill (empty at time of inspection, July 1990). 1884-5, built for
the Cavendish Spinning Co Ltd. Architects: Potts, Pickup and Dixon of Oldham.
Main: contractors: Storrs, Son and Co Ltd. Brick; steel girders rest on steel
(or possibly iron) window lintels with concrete floors and flat roof. Because
the mill is built on an awkward site it has an unusual plan. Main block (6
storeys to Ashton Canal, S; 5 storeys to Bank Street, N) has a short extension
to NE (forming an L-shaped plan overall) incorporating the engine house which
occupies most of the lower 2 floors; attached to the SE face of the mill is
an octagonal stair turret wrapped around the stack; a 2-storeyed office block
extends further to the SE. The offices and stack, and the engine-house range
are corrected by the boiler house and form 3 sides of a small entrance courtyard
(facing Cavendish Street). Carding sheds to N with perimeter wall. Main mill
block 14 x 9 window bays; large 9-pane windows under blue brick lintel bands
(concealing iron or steel girder pads); continuous projecting sill bands.
Ground floor windows under elliptical arches. One loading bay towards canal.
Simple parapets. End bays emphasised by projecting slightly. Engine house
distinguished by tall round-headed windows (some with simple tracery). Polygonal
stair turret with large windows to each facet, the 7th stage marked by paired
round-headed windows to each facet under a parapet with lombardic frieze. Topmost
courses of stack removed. Office block windows with curious stone lintels.
Irregular N elevation. Entrance with stone capped piers and massive iron vehicle-
guards. Interior not inspected. Circular section iron columns with shaped
brackets support steel girders.
Note: The form of construction used here (ie concrete floors, rather than brick
arched floors) on steel. girders and lintel plates was pioneered by Edward
Potts. He applied (unsuccessfully) to have the method patented in 1884. As
well as being the earliest such structure in Ashton, it is one of the earliest
in Greater Manchester (and probably the world) and is consequently of great
significance. For Stott see D Gurr and J Hunt, The Cotton Mills of Oldham
(1985) page 25; for Ashton, J Haynes, Cotton in Ashton (1987), pages 47-8.
Listing NGR: SJ9364098581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings