History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brickhouse Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Margaret Roding, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.7768 / 51°46'36"N

Longitude: 0.326 / 0°19'33"E

OS Eastings: 560566

OS Northings: 211243

OS Grid: TL605112

Mapcode National: GBR NHF.K7J

Mapcode Global: VHHMB.LLQR

Entry Name: Brickhouse Farmhouse

Listing Date: 17 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068549

English Heritage Legacy ID: 352792

Location: Margaret Roding, Uttlesford, Essex, CM6

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

Civil Parish: Margaret Roding

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Margaret Roding

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Good Easter

Listing Text

Brickhouse Farmhouse


House, c.1680-1700, altered and extended in C19. Timber-framed with original
brick facade, rear and side walls plastered, main roof tiled. Rear extension
of brick with slate roofs. 5 bays, facing NW, with internal chimney stacks
at each gable, 1680-1700, with C19 extensions behind the SW end, forming an
L-plan. The facade is in red brick, Flemish bond with blue flared headers with
flat arches of gauged brickwork over all windows, a string course at first-
floor level, and plain wooden modillions under the cornice. At ground floor,
4 sash windows each of 6 upper lights and 2 lower lights, C19, central porch
with square pillars and pediment, C19. Flat-arched recesses at each end, one on
each floor, express in elevation the chimney stacks behind them. The whole
forms a balanced composition. This house, of a type otherwise unknown or
rate in rural Essex, closely follows in style and construction superior
houses being built in the City of London, 1670-90. It differs from them
mainly in having a facade only of brickwork, with timber-framed construction
elsewhere. The roof too is of a construction unknown elsewhere in Essex,
with 2 closed and 4 open upper cruck trusses (or trusses with curved
principal rafters) with butt purlins, similar to St. Paul's Deanery, City of
London. It was described in a sale catalogue of 1797 as 'A Gentlemanlike
Farm House, Brick Built' (Essex Record Office B.768). The name expresses
the fact that it was uncommon in its own time. It was re-fenestrated, and
a porch was added, in mid-Victorian times, and rear extensions added. Part
of the original external wall, now inside, exhibits whitewashed plaster with
a combed zig-zag design.

Listing NGR: TL6056611243

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.