This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.5263 / 53°31'34"N
Longitude: -0.8232 / 0°49'23"W
OS Eastings: 478109
OS Northings: 403932
OS Grid: SE781039
Mapcode National: GBR QWPN.KN
Mapcode Global: WHFFC.BM7K
Entry Name: Kilham Memorial Methodist Chapel and Adjoining School, (Epworth Youth Centre)
Listing Date: 10 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068757
English Heritage Legacy ID: 165134
Location: Epworth, North Lincolnshire, DN9
County: North Lincolnshire
Civil Parish: Epworth
Built-Up Area: Epworth
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Epworth St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SE 7803-7903 EPWORTH HIGH STREET
20/73 Kilham Memorial Methodist
Chapel and adjoining
school, (Epworth Youth
Methodist New Connexion chapel and school, now youth centre. 1859-60,
converted to youth centre in 1944; later internal alterations and additions.
Red brick in Flemish bond with blue brick and limestone ashlar dressings.
Welsh slate roof. L-shaped on plan: 5-bay rectangular chapel aligned north-
south, with main entrance to south gable end and annexe to rear with 3-bay
school adjoining at right angles to east. Chamfered ashlar-capped plinth,
ashlar quoins, and flush blue brick sill band with cross motif throughout.
South entrance front, of 2 stages, has low buttresses to each side, central
quoined section breaking forward, and lower section of central entrance
porch, with low buttresses flanking the shafted jambs of the former outer
doorway, the arch and roof now removed. Pointed entrance (former inner
doorway) with unsympathetic C20 double doors beneath boarded panel.
Advanced central section has pair of single-light traceried ashlar windows
beneath blue brick arches flanking the porch, moulded ashlar sill string
course and a pair of pointed 2-light traceried ashlar windows beneath blue
and red brick arches, their apexes supporting a flush blue and red brick
pointed arch containing a polygonal ashlar tablet with a raised Gothic-
TO THE MEMORY OF
Flanking recessed sections have moulded string courses, single pointed
trefoiled ashlar windows (boarded at time of resurvey) in polychrome brick
surrounds with small blue brick cross motifs above. Stone-coped gable with
carved finial, gablets and shaped kneelers. East and west sides have stone-
coped buttresses between bays with quoined lower sections, pointed 2-light
traceried ashlar windows beneath blue and red brick arches, moulded brick
eaves cornice. Tall swept roof with crested ridge tiles. Later end stack
to north. West side of north annexe has small chamfered segmental-pointed
ashlar doorway with original board door, and small louvred window to left in
segmental-pointed ashlar surround. Single-story school: south front,
largely obscured by unsympathetic C20 additions, has segmental-pointed door
(former inner door to entrance porch) with square-headed 4-light mullioned-
and-transomed ashlar window to left with trefoiled lights. East gable end
has square-headed 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window beneath pointed
flush panel and small oval light. Interior altered in C20; not
investigated. The original ornate carved wooden pulpit and altar rails are
in the Wesley Memorial Church on the opposite side of the High Street (qv).
Alexander Kilham of Epworth (1762-98) founded in 1797 the breakaway
Methodist New Connexion, which in 1907 joined with other groups to form the
United Methodist Church. Listed partly for historical interest. W Read,
History of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, pp 225-244.
Listing NGR: SE7811003852
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings