This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2075 / 52°12'27"N
Longitude: 0.1273 / 0°7'38"E
OS Eastings: 545456
OS Northings: 258721
OS Grid: TL454587
Mapcode National: GBR L79.H11
Mapcode Global: VHHK3.5S42
Entry Name: 1-4, Short Street
Listing Date: 2 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068782
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47768
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB1
Electoral Ward/Division: Market
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity Cambridge
Church of England Diocese: Ely
Nos 1 to 4 (consec)
TL 4558 NW 4/665
circa 1820. Built by Charles Humfrey as part of the Doll's close development
(qv Maid's Causeway). Grey gault brick. 2 storeys and basement, 2 windows,
sashes with glazing bars. Brick plat band at first floor cill-level. Timber
doorcases with side - pilasters and simplified entablatures. Mid C19 door-surround
to No 1 with shallow bracketted hood. Slate roof.
No 3 has a street name-plate carved in stone. The north gable end of No
1 forms the original west end feature of Maid's Causeway, but very altered
in late C19. The original concept remains on No 1 Fair Street (qv). A
broad wall arch with elliptical head and pediment over. The arch filled
by a 2 storey canted bay in late C19. The screen wall connection with
No 4 Maid's Causeway replaced by No 2 in late Cl9. (RCHM 266).
Listing NGR: TL4545658720
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings