History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade I Listed Building in Epworth, North Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.523 / 53°31'22"N

Longitude: -0.8172 / 0°49'1"W

OS Eastings: 478515

OS Northings: 403578

OS Grid: SE785035

Mapcode National: GBR QWQP.WT

Mapcode Global: WHFFC.FQ31

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 27 September 1951

Last Amended: 10 September 1987

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1068805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 165147

Location: Epworth, North Lincolnshire, DN9

County: North Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Epworth

Built-Up Area: Epworth

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Epworth St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(north side)

20/86 The Old Rectory
(formerly listed as The
27.9.51 Rectory)


Rectory, now house and museum. 1709 with later minor alterations;
renovations of 1956-7. Red-brown brick, the south front in Flemish bond,
west front in English garden wall bond. Pantile roof. Double-depth plan:
3-room south front incorporating central entrance hall; 2-room west garden
front. 2 storeys with attic. South front: 7 bays, not quite regular, with
central bay breaking forward. Ovolo-moulded plinth. Chamfered brick
quoins. Entrance has C20 steps to wide 6-fielded-panel door and 4-pane
overlight in architrave with slim C19 carved consoles carrying cornice and
hood. C20 wooden plaque above, with painted motto and shield with arms in
relief beneath broken pediment on consoles. 12-pane sashes in flush wooden
architraves with restored ashlar sills and rubbed-brick flat arches, those
to 3 ground-floor bays restored. (3 ground-floor and 5 first-floor windows
were re-opened in 1950s restorations). 2-course brick first-floor band,
stepped-out above ground-floor windows. Deep moulded and modillioned wooden
eaves cornice incorporating gutter. Double-span roof, hipped to left, with
raised concrete-coped gable to right. Corniced ridge stack to right of
centre. Left return forms west front of 4 bays: similar details and windows
(2 to ground floor with restored arches), hipped roof and C20 gabled roof
dormer with 16-pane casement, corniced ridge stack to centre. Right return:
three 12-pane sashes to ground and first floors, 3 unequal 9-pane sashes to
attic, beneath segmental stretcher arches; twin gables with parapet between,
corniced stack to right. Rear has irregular fenestration with hung and
sliding sashes, C20 casements and French window, 4 gabled dormers with 16-
pane casements. Interior. Entrance hall has restored chamfered basket-
arched fireplace with tongue stops (the surrounding walls reputed to be sole
surviving section of previous rectory), C19 moulded plaster cornice.
Stairhall has fine original open-well closed-string staircase with wide
corniced handrail, moulded string, turned balusters and square newel posts,
one with a pendant drop, C19 moulded cornice to upper hall with acanthus
leaf centre-piece and foliate mouldings to angles. Chamfered spine beam
with tongue stops to ground floor rear right, boxed-in spine beam to front
right, moulded cornices to front and rear left rooms, the latter also with
beaded-panel cupboards with H-hinges. Reused section of timber framing for
spine beam to first-floor front right, chamfered spine beams to other rooms,
some with tongue stops. Plaster floors to attic. Collared rafter roof with
pegged butt purlins. Built in 1709 to replace the previous rectory that was
destroyed by fire earlier in the year, this house was the boyhood home of
John and Charles Wesley. The attic contains "Old Jeffreys Chamber", scene
of the famous hauntings recorded in John Wesley's Journal. Additions of
1883 by Francis Goddard of Lincoln were removed this century. Ceased being
rectory in 1954 when it was purchased by the World Methodist Council who
undertook restorations. Of considerable historic interest. W Read, History
of the Isle of Axholme, 1858, p 140; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings
of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, p 233; D L Roberts, "Lincolnshire and
Humberside", in J Hadfield (ed), The Shell Book of English Villages, 1980,
p 365; photographs in NMR.

Listing NGR: SE7851503578

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.