This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0716 / 51°4'17"N
Longitude: 1.0845 / 1°5'4"E
OS Eastings: 616188
OS Northings: 134782
OS Grid: TR161347
Mapcode National: GBR V0L.R0X
Mapcode Global: FRA F659.0CG
Entry Name: The Town Hall
Listing Date: 3 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1068981
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175109
Location: Hythe, Shepway, Kent, CT21
Civil Parish: Hythe
Built-Up Area: Hythe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
1253 HIGH STREET
The Town Hall
TR 1634 NW 2/8 3.1.50
Built in 1794. The ground floor was the open Market, which consists of a carriage
entrance at each end, flanked by a stone wall fronted with rusticated stuccoed
quoins and between these carriage entrances an arcade of 2 rows of 4 Tuscan
stone columns. The 1st floor contains the Council Chamber or Guildhall. Stuccoed.
5 windows, The 3 centre window bays project slightly. Long and short quoins
to this centre projection and to both sides of the wings. Cornice and parapet
with pediment in the parapet over the centre projection. Slate roof. Tall
sash windows with glazing-bars intact. Clock on brackets projecting from the
tympanum of the pediment, presumably added later. The Council Chamber has a
fine marble fireplace with Ionic half-columns, and festoons and a festooned
overmantal to the door.
Nos 67 to 79 (odd) and Town Hall form a group.
Listing NGR: TR1619234786
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings