This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3138 / 51°18'49"N
Longitude: 0.7861 / 0°47'10"E
OS Eastings: 594264
OS Northings: 160879
OS Grid: TQ942608
Mapcode National: GBR RTN.FLK
Mapcode Global: VHKJT.K7YN
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069313
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176298
Location: Lynsted with Kingsdown, Swale, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Lynsted with Kingsdown
Built-Up Area: Lynsted
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 96 SW LYNSTED LYNSTED STREET
2/88 Church of St Peter and
Parish church. C14 with C13 features and chancel rebuilt C16. Restored
C19. Flint and plain tiled roof and shingle spire. Nave and aisles,
chancel and north and south chapels, north west tower, south porch and
south east attached vault. North west tower of 4 stages with triple
offset diagonal buttresses. Upper stages weatherboarded, with broach
spire. C19 fenestration except south chapel east window with restored
cusped 'Y'-tracery, and chancel east window. C16 uncusped Perpendicular
of 15 lights and north chapel east window C15 three-light Perpendicular.
East end of chancel originally stood by itself as exposed quoins and
discontinuous plinth of 2 chapels indicate. North chapel with C16
fenestration, in east bay, added to earlier west bay, north aisle with
C14 and C15 traceried lights and projecting square external vice, and
blocked north doorway, round headed oncushion capitals.
Interior: 3 bay double chamfered arcade on octagonal piers, north and
south, of different C14 and C15 dates (one arch built 1481 - dated by
bequest to its building). Blocked arch to tower at north west end.
Roof of 3 crown-posts, the westernmost resting on the hood of the west
window. Roof of 4 crown-posts in south aisle, lean-to in north aisle
and chamfered doors with stairs to rood loft. Double chamfered chancel
arch and chancel with 2 bay arcades to chapels, to north chamfered arches
with large square pier, to south double hollow-chamfered arches on
octagonal piers. Roof of 3 crown-posts in south chapel. Fittings:
C19 stone screen in chancel to north chapel and C19 screen to south
chapel and south aisle. C19 reredos. Brass chandelier dated 1686.
Brasses: Elizabeth Roper, d.1567, 2 foot figure; John Worley, d.1621,
2 foot figures. Monuments: in the south, or Roper chapel. Sir John
Roper, 1st Baron Teynham, d.1618, painted alabaster with stiff
recumbent knight with his Lady on a marble sarcophagus . A son and
2 daughters kneel on a panel to rear in coffered niche with architectural
surround, with Corinthian capitals, dentil cornice, obelisks and
cartouche. Lord Christopher Roper, d.1622. Signed E. Evesham Me fecit.
One of Epiphanius Evesham's major monuments. Plaster figures of
reclining and dying knight draped with his ermine cloak, with his
kneeling and mourning wife behind him. He lies on a sarcophagus
with central inscription flanked by carved panels of 2 sons, their
backs turned to their hounds and hawks, and 5 daughters and grand-
daughters. Over the whole, an alabaster architectural surround on
Corinthian capitals with pinnacles and scrolled and pedimented
cartouche. North chapel, or Huggeson chapel: Catherine Drurye
(née Finche) d.1601. Alabaster hanging monument with kneeling
couple facing each other, children behind, with bracketted base.
Corinthian capitals, cornice and scrolled cartouche. John Huggeson
d.1634, kneeling figures on coved base, Corinthan columns, broken
segmental pediment with segmental pediment thrusting through it.
Josiah Huggeson, d.1639. Black plaque draped as in a stage setting,
with broken segmental pediment on Corinthian capitals. James
Huggeson, d.1646. Recumbent man and wife on bolection moulded
sarcophagus. Moulded standing around figures. Rudolph Weckerlin,
d.1667, black draped wall plaque, with putti on bracketted base and
broken segmental pediment on Corinthian capitals. Anne Delaune,
d.1719, white marble plaque on scrolled base withcartouche. Martha
Huggeson, d.1753, white marble tablet with putti and cornice on
Ionic columns with urns and cartouche William Huggeson, d.1774, white
wall plaque on foliated base and surmounted by obelisk. (See B.O.E.,
Kent II, 1983, 3778).
Listing NGR: TQ9428760808
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings