This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3754 / 51°22'31"N
Longitude: 0.6713 / 0°40'16"E
OS Eastings: 586017
OS Northings: 167422
OS Grid: TQ860674
Mapcode National: GBR QRD.NK5
Mapcode Global: VHJLX.LP8H
Plus Code: 9F329MGC+4G
Entry Name: Church of St. Margaret of Antioch
Listing Date: 24 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1069343
English Heritage Legacy ID: 176155
Location: Lower Halstow, Swale, Kent, ME9
Civil Parish: Lower Halstow
Built-Up Area: Lower Halstow
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ 86 NE
SHEERNESS ROAD (north side)
Church of St. Margaret of Antioch
Parish church. C8, C12 lean-to aisles and C13 tower, remodelled C14-C15, restored with new porch 1913 by W.D. Caröe. Chancel and nave with aisles, south-west tower and south porch. Flint, rubble stone and re-used Roman tiles, with plain tiled roof.
Two stage south-west tower, with shingled broach spire and restored lancet window, built into Saxon nave, with restored two-light curvilinear west windows. Pebble-dashed south porch by Caröe. Heavily restored Perpendicular windows in south aisle. Inset and stepped down chancel, with three offset buttresses remains of small round-headed window outlined in tiles, and courses of sloping tiles along base of walls, with three restored Perpendicular two-light windows. East end with corner buttresses and restored Perpendicular two-light window. North chancel wall with restored lancet, C20 vestry and Saxon tile-work. North aisle with C20 buttresses, and C15/C16 champed round-headed lancet windows.
Interior: Saxon nave, original window still in tower wall. Two bay late C12 arcade to aisles, large square piers with chamfered imposts, plain pointed arches, narrower, totally unmoulded and earlier to south. Nave and aisles under one roof, trussed rafter with lean-to aisles, C18 crown post sub-roof in north aisle. Chamfered chancel arch on imposts, matching south arcade. Chancel with C13 three bay blind arcading on north and south walls, with attached marble shafts with moulded caps and bases. C15 crown post roof of three bays.
Fittings: mutilated piscina in chancel, and aumbrey in east wall. Early C17 hexagonal pulpit with tester. C18 box pews much altered by Caröe 1913. C18 chandelier suspender, heavily decorated wrought iron, the chandelier stolen.
Font: Lead , c.1190, bowl with arcade of ten beaded and foliated arches with king and angel repeated under alternate arches. At time of resurvey removed for exhibition. Carried on Spurbeck marble shafts, at time of re-survey just with wooden font cover - square C17, with C16 ogee cap. Remnant wall paintings in nave and aisles, C14, representing St. Margaret, St. Andrew. Coronation of the Virgin. Also late medieval graffiti in south aisles, and some floor tiles at east end. Royal Coat of Arms of George III over chancel arch.
(See Report to Parish by W.D. Caröe, 1913).
Listing NGR: TQ8676867356
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings